What's the diff btwn 32 and 64 bit OS ??

giprabu

In the zone
I've tried both .. but cant see any diff other than 64 bit utilising whole 4gigs of RAM while 32 using only 3 to 3.25 of it..
some say there is performance increase... how and why ??

T

topfer

During my research about 64 and 32 bit operating system. I have a 32 bit CAD program I want to try loading to operate on my 64 bit 8 MB RAM machine (Dell Vostro 1720. Where shall I look to find a setting, "compatibility mode"?

Last edited by a moderator:

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
During my research about 64 and 32 bit operating system. I have a 32 bit CAD program I want to try loading to operate on my 64 bit 8 MB RAM machine (Dell Vostro 1720. Where shall I look to find a setting, "compatibility mode"?
There is not a compatibility mode in this case, 32 bit programs just run inside 64 bit Windows using a system which is called WOW aka Windows on Windows. Try running the 32 bit CAD program of yours directly in 64 bit, if it's not working then you can check for it's compatibility from Microsoft. Please give us more details on which OS and specific program you're using.

borax12

the dotmaster
....actually the 32 bit architecture....was designed to be more home user based....with the 64 bit catering to higher use and needs...but nowadays....OS such as win 7....have a system script shell that emulates both system forms.....a 32 bit program is run at 32 bit platform in a 64 bit OS.....to be sure of these....when running 32 bit programs(try running older games on win 7...(that are actually running properly)...)....open the services tab in task manager ...u see the program name mentioned with an asterix "*32" written after it...that states that the program is being emulated to run on a 32 bit platform...an yeah for explanation...the wiki article is there for rescue....and remember for greater hardware utilization.....go for a 64 bit licensed OS....and no the 32 bit os.....also...please remember all recent releases of utilities and games are made as single installer for both platforms....so....u don't worry abt non compatibility of games release henceforth or maybe after 2009 Q3....(cant guarantee though)

R

Robert Gentle

Hello friend,

A 32 bit processor is faster than a 64 bit processor, 64 bit processors are very commonly used that you can find it easily in any home pc but the main difference is the hardware you are having on your machine. The main difference between a 32 bit and 64 is that 32 bit system has 4gb(gigabytes) of space for addressing means that the 32 bit system has a limit of 4GB RAM to process data where as the 64 bit operating system has 2^64 bits of space to address and supports 16 hexabytes of RAM to process data.

Thanks

salvachn

Broken In

Do you really have 8 MB of memory on your machine? :rolleyes:

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
In 32-bit OSs, the CPU handles 32 bits of data at a time, while in 64-bit OSs, the CPU handles 64 bits of data at a time. So, finally 64bit OSs are more faster than 32-bit. But an application made for 32-bit does not know how to utilise the 64-bits for a 64bit OS, so it is rewritten in 64-bit.

Hope this helps!

Shani Clinton

Right off the assembly line
64 bit processor is much faster than the 32 bit.In 64 bit processor CPU utilization time is less which increase the speed when you run even multiple programs at the same time.

Shani.

frontier2002

Broken In
I've tried both .. but cant see any diff other than 64 bit utilising whole 4gigs of RAM while 32 using only 3 to 3.25 of it..
some say there is performance increase... how and why ??

My general knowledge:

64 bits more stable compare to 32 bits
64 bits higher security compare to 32 bits
64 bits require more memory and CPU capacity to run compare to 32 bits
64 bits less common software can fit in compare to 32 bits

xen_

Broken In
64 bit OS>>>> 32 bit OS
i was previously using vista x64.... and then later on shifted to Windows 7 x64... I was a big time gamer then... and i found notable difference in the performance of my system... i always wished that i had all my applications running in 64 bit mode rather than 32 bit mode... and the problem would arise searching applications of the 64 bit kind... it is not at all a problem if u have applications running in 32 bit mode on a 64 bit OS... but it is always better to use 64 bit applications on a 64 bit OS as they are more stable...there are many applications and softwares which dont run on a 64 bit OS even under the 32 bit mode enabled...
For example...
Adobe Flash Player.... a 64 bit version is still not yet released.... so its kind'a hopeless to use a 64 bit browser...
Borland C++ - i had a hard time finding a way to run it on windows 7 x64...
Oracle 9i wont work on Windows 7 x64 even if u have the 32 bit mode enabled for it....

My point is even though x64>>>x86... The daily applications that one needs are not compatible wid the 64 bit atmosphere....

Now i have left gaming behind and i have shifted over to programming.... So I find windows xp x86 the best of all OS so as to suit my personal needs.... :)

Top Bottom