what's important, gpu or cpu....???

Status
Not open for further replies.

grv750

Broken In
hey guys,
Wanted a little help.....
I was going to buy my rig today but had to postpone that due to a question, i could'nt find an answer for.....
I5 2400 + HD6850
OR
Phenom II x4 965 BE + hd6950.
The system would be mostly used for playing FPSs and TPSs at 1080p
Please guys help me out......
Thanks in advance.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^GPU is more important if gaming is the requirement but that doesn't mean one will bypass it with a low end CPU...
I prefer the 2nd setup above

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
GPU is more important for high resolution gaming. You only need a fast enough CPU in reality.

965 BE + HD 6950 will be quite a lot faster than i5-2400 + HD 6850 in games.

You can also go for i5-2320 + HD 6870 if you want. :)

OP
G

grv750

Broken In
actually i can spend only 26000 inr on cpu+mobo+gpu+extra fans(if needed)......
So what would be the best combination for that price......??

rahulmax

Broken In
actually i can spend only 26000 inr on cpu+mobo+gpu+extra fans(if needed)......
So what would be the best combination for that price......??

i5 2500 -10800 or i5 2400 -9500
asus p8h61 m lx -3200
gtx 560 ti 13000 or gtx 560 (non-ti) -10000

This system will last you long, you won't be needing an upgrade soon after this.

Cilus

laborare est orare
i5 2500 or 2400 in a H61 motherboard is simply not a good idea. H61 is absic entry level board with very limited numbers of expansion ports.

rahulmax, now i3 2400 costs 11.5K, price has been increased a lot. So 2500 won't come at 10.8K. Better check the prices before posting.

grv750, go with the 2nd setup, it is better in gaming.

rahulmax

Broken In
i5 2500 or 2400 in a H61 motherboard is simply not a good idea. H61 is absic entry level board with very limited numbers of expansion ports.

rahulmax, now i3 2400 costs 11.5K, price has been increased a lot. So 2500 won't come at 10.8K. Better check the prices before posting.

grv750, go with the 2nd setup, it is better in gaming.

I have been using h61 mobo with i5 2500 with no problems at all, it got all the basic expansion slots with one pci express 2.0 and two slots for memory upto 16gb. I know it lacks some things but one can live without them considering it costs only 3200. And he can always change his motherboard later but you need yo have a good cpu and gpu.

I recently bought my system 1 month back, so i didn't know that the price fluctuated so much. I bought my i5 2500 for 10800.

OP
G

grv750

Broken In
Another query.........
If i go with the hd6850 setup would it be sufficient for games for next 2-3 years.....ofcourse not at ultra high settings.......i won't mind medium settings.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
dont go for the fx series if focus is mainly on gaming

better go for a Phenom II setup + 6950

try to find 6950 2GB version if possible on that budget

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another query.........
If i go with the hd6850 setup would it be sufficient for games for next 2-3 years.....ofcourse not at ultra high settings.......i won't mind medium settings.
At the moment, HD 6850 is only fit enough for Medium settings @ 1080p.

The 2GB version of HD 6950 is future proof as per me. Better than GTX 560 Ti as well. GTX 560 Ti usually comes in 1GB versions.

2GB VRAM helps to crank up AA and good for shader heavy games which we are seeing now.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
i5 2320 + 6950 2gb will be a good deal. Pair it with a H67 board and if in a tight budget, h61 will do just fine.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Another query.........

This can't be answered. It depends on the games which will be released. As ico have said already, it should be sufficient.

But my vote will go for Phenom II x4 965 BE + HD6950. combo.
Reasons:
1. It is unlocked processor, so you can overclock it when you feel its needed.
2. Better GPU will serve you better in gaming.

OP
G

grv750

Broken In
i've never used or seen an amd processor machine.......
So even if i want to trust amd,i simply can't.......
So can you guys confirm that amd processors behave in the same way as intel one's......ie there aren't any compatibility issues with amd+windows 7.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
i've never used or seen an amd processor machine.......
So even if i want to trust amd,i simply can't.......
So can you guys confirm that amd processors behave in the same way as intel one's......ie there aren't any compatibility issues with amd+windows 7.
First of all. Current gen Intel processors behave in the same way as AMD.

AMD created the x86_64 architecture which Intel has licensed from them.

Mere ko aaj tak ek baat samajh nahi aayi, ye baatein tum log laate kaha se ho? :)

the1337est

Hardcore Gamer
In my opinion go with X4 955 BE + HD6950.

If you have a good enough CPU, gaming performance highly depends on the GPU.
So, get 955BE for nearly half the price than the i5 and throw the savings on HD6950 rather than an HD6850.

OP
G

grv750

Broken In
Mere ko aaj tak ek baat samajh nahi aayi, ye baatein tum log laate kaha se ho? :)
It wasn't me.......it was my father asking the question......
He thinks that intel is the only cpu manufacturer in the world..... :-D
So it seems that i shud go with amd+6950.......

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
But yes, you will have to buy a CPU cooler like Cooler Master Hyper TX3 (Rs. 1300) with Phenom II 955 BE.

Reason? AMD's cooler is cheap, but for working well it gets noisy.

I have Intel i5-2500k. Its cooler is also cheap, but because it NEVER worked well, so never got noisy. So, I also bought a cooler from Cooler Master.

OP
G

grv750

Broken In
so now that i've made my mind for hd6950..........pls suggest which one is available in nehru place and has good ocing potential.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom