Whats Eating RCuber's Battery?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Guys, I have a strange problem with my phone. its a Samsung Galaxy 3(Apollo), with Froyo. I changed my battery about 4 months ago. I hardly get 10 hrs on it. Today I checked how long my battery lasts.
1. Fully charged at 7 AM.
2. about 10 minutes of call.
3. 1 hr of music.
4. 20 minutes browsing.
5. Mail/Sync is always ON.

thats it.. battery went dead at around 3 PM. so that means exactly 8 hrs.

I am on 2G network most of the time due to this, on 3G its even worse :|

I am not sure if its a battery problem or firmware problem. I dont have any other apps .. no FB/Twitter.

thinking of dumping this and going for a 18-22 K range phone.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Save more money and get an iPhone 4S. May be iPhone 5. That should give you good battery.

mrintech

Technomancer
On cellular data network Android OS is a huge battery sucker :| If tower strength is low than the OS will drain your battery like nothing :|

How about Wi-Fi? do you get same problem when using Wi-Fi with good network strength?

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
ok will recheck a new firmware. Will ask about in the the Phones main thread.

Regarding battery. I just observed that there is a slight dent in the battery , may be caused when my phone fell down a couple of times before. could this affect storage capacity of a battery?

AFAIK, there are high capacity batteries available from 3rd party vendors, can you guys suggest some? may be 2500 mAh ??

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
first see if there are any ad supported apps that are always on. checkout if it's the culprit.

then try battery recalibration (instructions at xda forums)

if the battery heats too much or if there is a bulge then it's dead or dying.

_

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
It's a battery problem, IMO. I am quite sure.

You might be using the phone for almost more than a year now. Every battery has a life. Get a new battery.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
first see if there are any ad supported apps that are always on. checkout if it's the culprit.

then try battery recalibration (instructions at xda forums)

if the battery heats too much or if there is a bulge then it's dead or dying.

_

no .. I dont have many apps installed. 90% of the time usage is browser and gmail. IMDB,BookMyshow and music player are the other apps I use.

Battery recalibration = Full Charge / Discharge right ? that happens every day for me :p

Heat issue was there on my original version i.e., Android 2.1 but after I upgraded to FroYo there was no heating issue.

It's a battery problem, IMO. I am quite sure.

You might be using the phone for almost more than a year now. Every battery has a life. Get a new battery.

The phone is more than 2 yrs old but the battery is relatively new. about 4 months old. But I noticed a dent in the battery just today morning, but there is no bulge.. ill replace the battery only if a high capacity battery is available. also will try and change the ROM. if that too fails then I need to buy a new Mobile.

also as I need to access mails constantly , I cannot disable the data services ( no point in having a smart phone :p )

BTW I do carry a Nokia X1 (dual sim) as a backup phone.. that phone has 45 days stand by :p , I charge it once a month :p

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
1.Fully charge the battery
2.Fully discharge battery by seeing movies or anything to drain it out completely.
3.Takeout the battery from your phone.
4.Fully wrap it with plastic cover so that
the battery is moisture proof
5.Put it in fridge(not freezer) in the night and toggle
the fridge temperature to coolest.
6.Take out battery next morning without any water or moisture
entering it.
7.Put in phone and tell me what is the response

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
2.Fully discharge battery by seeing movies or anything to drain it out completely.
entering it.

you gotta be kidding me :D

coolfire92

Lurking Around
Try calibrating the battery using a app

Battery Calibration

Monitor the battery.Tha app shows voltages.Is the phone charging to 4200mv(thats max for g3 battery).If it isn't battery has probably lost some of its charging capacity.

Anyways charge till 100%,calibrate using app or if you don't want to install app
>>Charge fully,goto recovery and wipe battery stats.
Let it discharge fully after that.

Some people say calibration works other don't but give it a try.

Another thing is the battery you bought original?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@OP, I saw you mentioned you are on Froyo. Froyo was a huge power hungry release. Install ICS, it would definitely improve the situation.

Try and report.

and, @gopi, I'm going to try that tonight. If anything bad happens... "I'll find you, I'll hit you"

mrintech

Technomancer
entering it.

:-o

Good Info.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@OP, I saw you mentioned you are on Froyo. Froyo was a huge power hungry release. Install ICS, it would definitely improve the situation.

Try and report.
didn't know that ICS ROM were available for Galaxy 3, can you suggest a stable version? AFAIK , custom ROM's have some known issues like camera problems / Bluetooth issues etc. correct me if I am wrong.

and, @gopi, I'm going to try that tonight. If anything bad happens... "I'll find you, I'll hit you"

ill join you :D

Top Bottom