what Will be the cost to implimenta webserver in our home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosemolr

Journeyman
Dear fellas,
me and my couple of friends are planning to launch one site with domain name .com .everyone told me to host in some company or some other cheap website dedicated hosting providers.but still i want to know the cost to maintain a web server in our home including the cost for server..storage..cabling..router..blah blah.. and an average cost for bandwidth.Since for a server bandwidth should be high for uploading..right..?here in my town we have 3 bandwidth providers Asianet Dataline,Bsnl,Reliance.Are they providing suitable connections for webserver.?Please help me with the details of this.Thanks in advance.i think in here there are people who maintain webserver in their home.please help me

Such things are possible only outside India, in countries like USA where power and bandwidth are cheap.

For a server, energy efficiency is most important. For home servers, hence, Intel Atom Dual Core is BEST CPU. Get the embedded edition, which comes with a GMA500 GPU in some custom chipset which consumes a lot lesser power than 945GC. You might want to use flash memory since you need less HDD space in a server and it consumes negligible power compared to HDD and is damn fast.

I think a netbook makes a great home server platform. A 30W device would be great as the total consumption of power would be 30*24*365 = 262800 Watt Hour = 262.8 KWH and with power @ Rs. 10/unit in the most extreme case, you spend Rs. 2628 per year on power. Usually its closer to Rs. 5/unit, hence power consumption will be a lot lower, Rs. 1314 per year.

Next comes the internet part. I recommend Airtel 256kbps UL plan, because its cheap @ Rs. 750/month and has much greater uptime than BSNL or MTNL. Include phone charges @ Rs. 250/month and you have Rs. 1000/month or Rs. 12,000/year as internet charges. This is actually a lot cheaper than it appears since you anyway DO need a phone line and internet. So you might as well call it free.

For a modem too you need power. And adding up some extra power here and there, you can safely double the original power consumption cost and hence arrive at a normal Rs. 2628 for power totally.

Initially for flash memory (you can also boot from 4GB pendrive with Puppy Linux), 1GB RAM and Atom CPU with motherboard and other essentials you spend around Rs. 8000/- maximum. Use keyboard/mouse/monitor from your regular PC just for configuring.

EDIT: I just got myself a project. If I get a part time job this summer I am going to use my money on this project.

EDIT: Woops, guess I was wrong about the power part. Atom consumes more power when you add all pheripherals and choose to go for the basic 945GC version. But cost is still doubling at the extreme case when power goes to 60W on getting Intel Atom CFL2 mobo version.

Last edited:

awww

Banned
Next comes the internet part. I recommend Airtel 256kbps UL plan, because its cheap @ Rs. 750/month and has much greater uptime than BSNL or MTNL. Include phone charges @ Rs. 250/month and you have Rs. 1000/month or Rs. 12,000/year as internet charges. This is actually a lot cheaper than it appears since you anyway DO need a phone line and internet. So you might as well call it free.
i think we are not allowed to host websites using home plan..

i think we are not allowed to host websites using home plan..
Who said ? As long as its not a business site its allowed.
Besides, I remember that airtel has an almost 1:1 upload to download speed.
256kbps ought to be enough for most websites like forums, blogs, etc which don't have many pictures.

OP
rosemolr

rosemolr

Journeyman
i'am planning to host some pdf files ..not some actually around 5000 pdf files.and i think there will be 100 hits per day and a monthly traffic around 30 Gb.Here asianet provide 512 kbps Unlimited for 1350 per month.But the thing is upload speed.and what about the software part.i think apache server will do it. right?

ps. I have one quadcore processor intel q 6600 and 4 gb ram + 1 tb hard drive.
what will we do if a power failure occurs.in our town there won't be frequent power failures but still i want a back up of 6Hrs.i think i need a ups with external battery. @^^ i doubt that 256 ul plan will do it.coz there will be more users....thanks for the quick reply.

Last edited:
i'am planning to host some pdf files ..not some actually around 5000 pdf files.and i think there will be 100 hits per day and a monthly traffic around 30 Gb.Here asianet provide 512 kbps Unlimited for 1350 per month.But the thing is upload speed.and what about the software part.i think apache server will do it. right?

ps. I have one quadcore processor intel q 6600 and 4 gb ram + 1 tb hard drive.
what will we do if a power failure occurs.in our town there won't be frequent power failures but still i want a back up of 6Hrs.i think i need a ups with external battery. @^^ i doubt that 256 ul plan will do it.coz there will be more users....thanks for the quick reply.

Your Q6600 rig will DRINK electricity.

You only want to host PDF files right ? Then get a wordpress.com account. They give free 3GB space and unlimited bandwidth and you are allowed to upload .PDF, .doc, .odt, .ppt and image files. AND you can have multiple blogs. Just make sure you share PDFs one per post with good description else your blog will appear as an illegal file hosting only blog.

what about dns?

For using your own domain you need to pay 10$ extra per year, and for a domain another 5$ if bought from wordpress.com (for .com domain) or free if you already own a domain name.

But trust me, .wordpress subdomain is good. Especially for PDF files. freebooks123.wordpress.com doesn't sound that bad anyway :p

OP
rosemolr

rosemolr

Journeyman
but i would like to keep the server on my own..there may be some addition things too..(not pirated contents ok..)..electricity is ok..I'm conscious about the performance only

but i would like to keep the server on my own..there may be some addition things too..(not pirated contents ok..)..electricity is ok..I'm conscious about the performance only

Dude, performance would be GREAT on wordpress.com. Trust me. High download speeds.
Trying to host a private server for this is riddiculous.
People do so only for large websites like thinkdigit forum, etc.
When you have a free service which does what you need to, why look elsewhere ?

OP
rosemolr

rosemolr

Journeyman
My god! Damn Yes...i need ads..not only online ads..like google and all..there will be private firm's ad too

OP
rosemolr

rosemolr

Journeyman
My god! Damn Yes...i need ads..not only online ads..like google and all..there will be private firm's ad too

Hmm... tell you what, get a blogger account. They allow google ads, company ads. etc.
You just need to theme it right and all that.
But HOST the files in a parallel blog on wordpress.com :D
Free, but CLEVER 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom