What UPS to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srinivasdevulapally

The Masterminded
I want to buy a basic UPS for my pc just in case, i.e it's not required to run for a long time after power cut. it should support for the time taken to shut down my pc just after power failure. Please suggest me a good UPS.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Well please go in for a APC brand of UPS and this is the model number fora basic ups from APC, its model: back-UPS ES 500

I first had a Numeric 600 UPS, but then after using APC, i jus fell in love with its price,performance feature.. :)

ultimategpu

AMD & ATI FANBOY
APC is bit costly than regular ones

then if atleast 15-20 mins back needed means ,go for

numeric ---------->1.6k

wipro---------------->1.6k

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

yup, its costly but jus Rs.600/- more (considering the price of 1.6K) :)
also, many of us use APC and think its the best wen the question comes to power cuts or sudden voltage fluctuations :) (im not dishonouring u in any way.. :) )

Once, a lamp was connected to the spike guard wich was connected to my APC UPS, i was doin sum idiotic stuff, and then the lamp's tube blew off !! causing sparks and it stopped working, but thanx to my APC, there was nOT a single glitch of uncontrollable voltage affecting my PC or the CPU.. :) it was like as if nothing happened.. :)
--------------

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^
Yup, if tats the case go in for an APC (model: BACK-UPS ES 500) Price Rs.2200/- (approx..)

and any power failure will be like a cake walk to control for this UPS believe me.. :) (i hv tried this and also at times when there were heavy voltage fluctuations and sudden power cuts and power ONs) and this works like a beast in safeguarding ur PC and also for normal shutdowns.. :)
----------

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I don't need much back up...Just to safely shutdown my pc the next moment after power failure...

If dats ur main motto....
go for any local made UPS, at least 5-10 min back-up gurranteed.

Hassles:-
U may need to change battery withing 6 months.

Benefit:
Price comparatively low.
Does wat u bought it for i.e. very small back up:p

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
APC is APC.
American Power Conversion is its full form.

The "APC " is widely used.
Its costly but does at least give 20 min back-up.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
APC is better choice if there's lot of voltage fluctuation.

btw, APC has the best looks in Rs.2.2k category:p
compact & upmarket design.

with just the modem connected, the APC ES 500 gives ~30mins of backup.:))

@ashu888ashu888, me too having APC UPS-ES 500.
bought it for 2.5k tho.

Raccoon

Journeyman
Don't even think of going in for local makes... if you value your PC at all. A UPS is not just for back up time... far more important is its power filtering capability.

My worst experience was with Powercom UPS. I have written about it in the Hardware To Avoid thread just couple of days back, so wont repeat here.

iBall is also very much worth avoiding.

I finally bought APC 500 VA about 2 years back, and its one of the good products I'v ever bought. One drawback of APC is that they seem to have a policy giving factory refurbished units in case a replacement is required.... that means you get a used unit, in case they ever replace it. This is really not acceptable.

Anyway, the quality seems so good... most people probably will not need replacements. Dont fall for the temptating of saving few bucks now and repenting later. Go for the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom