what to do when ur mobile phone is lost???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashootosh

Broken In
can anyone plz tell me wat to do when ur mobile is stolen or lost??? any way to get it back??? actually I lost my Nokia 6610i n when i tried my number it comes out to be switch off!!!!! plz help!!!!!!!!

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
If you know your IMEI number you can file a case of theft with the local police station and fax a copy of the FIR to your cellular service provider and enlist their help in finding out where your cell phone is. If you dont know your phone's IMEI number, then I am afraid the chances of getting your phone back are pretty slim.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
or if u don't think u have any chance of recovering that cell phone.... and if u know the IMEI number.. u can ask ur cell phone operator to bar the cell phone... ater that. the thief won't be able to use this cell phone until he changes the IMEI number(its very common and simple to do now-a-days)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
An exactly a same topic here:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130917

Some replies there:
How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

Mobile users - Suppose your cell phone is stolen. What will you do?

Here are some tips. Read it. Please forward it to as many people you
can.

How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

A bit of useful information. Just in case you happen to lose your
mobile or it gets flogged.

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following
digits on your phone:

* # 0 6 #

A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to
your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.

Should your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and
give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so
even if the thief changes the SIM card your phone will be totally
useless.

You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that
whoever stole it can't use/sell it either.

If everybody did this, there would be no point in stealing mobile
phones.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@drgrudge: Hmm, only one question about that quote:

It says :

A bit of useful information. Just in case you happen to lose your
mobile or it gets flogged.

digits on your phone:

* # 0 6 #

Once its stolen, how do you check your IMEI number unless you have the original bill with the IMEI number on it? You cant obviously use the *#06# code once the phone's out of your hands. Just wondering out loud.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
enoonmai said:
Once its stolen, how do you check your IMEI number unless you have the original bill with the IMEI number on it? You cant obviously use the *#06# code once the phone's out of your hands. Just wondering out loud.
Hmm...thats before ur phone gets stolen :twisted:

@enoonmai, read it fully...
digits on your phone:

* # 0 6 #

A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to
your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.
Should your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and
give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so
even if the thief changes the SIM card your phone will be totally
useless.
You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that
whoever stole it can't use/sell it either.
And
If everybody did this, there would be no point in stealing mobile
phones.

Hope u understood now...

OP
A

Ashootosh

Broken In
i have the IMEI number, and i registered FIR 2day. now how can i now which service the guy is gonna use (i was using Spice-punjab, he can use airtel,bsnl etc etc). Now do I have to goto every service provider???? will the allow me to do this (apart from spice??).

also is thr any site which can trace where a mobile is from its cell number or IMEI no.(in india)???

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@drgrudge: I know very well what an IMEI number is and how it works. :lol: I was just cracking a joke about the way the section was worded. Sorry if you got offended or confused! :D

@Ashootosh: If you make a complaint, then just fax the FIR to your cellular service provider. They will automatically flag the IMEI number down, it doesnt matter which service provider the thief uses. The system will automatically flag the operator and register the location of the phone. Nope, there is no site in India that you can trace a call via its IMEI number. The cell informations aren't exactly published online in real time. :D

OP
A

Ashootosh

Broken In
@enoonmai: r u trying to say that it doesnt matter wat service the thief is using right now? will the cell service provider(in my case Spice punjab) get all the IMEI numbers even if some one is not using their services. plz clear this thing!!

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
What I know happens is that when you register a case of theft of your mobile phone with YOUR cellular service provider, they update a "blacklist" of stolen phones with the IMEI numbers, which all cellular service providers have access to. So, when the thief makes a call on the stolen phone, any cellular service provider with access to the blacklist would immediately flag it down the minute the user enters their cell or uses their network for even relaying a call. So, if you file a complaint with Hutch, the next time the thief uses the phone in another state with say, Airtel, the network would still flag the IMEI number down and register the location. This is how it is supposed to work.

OP
A

Ashootosh

Broken In
well i got a bad news 2day. I got news that i will have to give my IMEI no. to each n every service provider..... n if the guy is using prepaid conn then it is almost impossible to find him. More twist in tail as if the thief is clever enough he will change the IMEI no. By using easily available s/ws in market.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
mail2and said:
the thief won't be able to use this cell phone until he changes the IMEI number(its very common and simple to do now-a-days)

i guess i mentioned that :( changing the IMEI number has become child's play now-a-days. Just about any one can download the software required and can flash any phone...

plasmafire

Journeyman
send it to your cell manufacturer, (nokia) take it to the showroom where u bought ur cell.. tell em u'll buy a new cell only if they do ths. it works..

90% of all cell thieves r too stupid to change imei etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom