What to choose Air Cooler or Air Conditioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayritik

Technomancer
With summer fast approaching I need to buy an Air Cooler. Since I'm very tight on budget I can't afford A/C. However with Air Cooler there are some disadvantages. I observed that at times the area around air cooler is very humid or warm except where the fan is blowing.

Considering that my bedroom has very ample ventilation. Is it better to go for an air conditioner since air cooler maybe futile.

I know there are some cases where Air Conditioner will work but maybe when we place them in a hall or on the window.

Kindly suggest any option.

pauldmps

Banned
An AC is always better than a cooler. But if you cannot afford one, it is better that you get whatever comes inside your budget.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Air Cooler disadvantages:

1. noisy
2. unreliable. high repair costs.
3. directional cooling. you need to be in the direction of air flow
4. yes. it's a bit moist as it uses water to blow cold air (moist air)

also do note that if you want to setup Air Conditioner, simply getting the unit won't do. you need to have a false ceiling that prevent heat from entering through slab, close down all the windows etc. It costs extra but is worth every penny.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Air Cooler disadvantages:

1. noisy
2. unreliable. high repair costs.
3. directional cooling. you need to be in the direction of air flow
4. yes. it's a bit moist as it uses water to blow cold air (moist air)

also do note that if you want to setup Air Conditioner, simply getting the unit won't do. you need to have a false ceiling that prevent heat from entering through slab, close down all the windows etc. It costs extra but is worth every penny.

Thanks for the info desiibond.
With regards to Noisy I think it's ok. Unreliable I will agree but its only for a short while that is only couple of months in summer
I agree wrt directional cooling as well
Since I stay in an apartment which is virtually on the ground floor I don't think have to look into false ceiling right?
I thought some amount of ventilation is required and since my bedroom doesnt have an ventilation outlet I was concerned.
I thought it's better to keep the cooler near the bedroom door which goes out to hall so that the other sides of the Air Cooler are facing outside the room. In case hot air emits from the sides

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
if you have made up your mind to purchase a cooler (instead of AC) then go for a desert cooler, the big one which need to be installed on window with its body hanging outside. This will reduce the humidity greatly.
We had one when we were in Bhilai. It is very easy to beat the heat with desert coolers. Room coolers are just waste of money, whether it is Symphony or Bajaj or any other brand.

Goten

Banned
Desert coolers are good if u are short on money...r u playing to use laptop in a cooler room....If thats the case then it is not recommended....Humidity kills laptops.

Peace~~~!

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
whoa, never thought on that angle. What about desktops? I am sure this applies to desktops too.

Goten

Banned
Go for a desert cooler wich hangs outside...make sure the doors in ur room are open so that humidity remains at save levels for ur computer...I mean the door wich u close before doing ur bizness...That should take care of humidity but not the whole thing...Also A/cs are the best...If u get a 5star split ac then it is going to cost u 22000 and also a monthly bill of 4000extra for 12 hours usage...Acs are the best thing man has invented for summers...Drink water for dehydration in ac rooms and rest is all fine and good for u and ur pc....I used a cooler last year....My gpu got fried and the technician said it had moistless all over it....Was it the cooler....may be....I will use my computer in an AC room now during daytime....But since ur tight on budget....Go for desert cooler with ample cross room ventilation.

Peace~~~!

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
if you have made up your mind to purchase a cooler (instead of AC) then go for a desert cooler, the big one which need to be installed on window with its body hanging outside. This will reduce the humidity greatly.
We had one when we were in Bhilai. It is very easy to beat the heat with desert coolers. Room coolers are just waste of money, whether it is Symphony or Bajaj or any other brand.
How do I differentiate between a desert cooler and room cooler?
Desert coolers are good if u are short on money...r u playing to use laptop in a cooler room....If thats the case then it is not recommended....Humidity kills laptops.

Peace~~~!
I have both laptop and desktop as well. But currently using more of desktop
Go for a desert cooler wich hangs outside...make sure the doors in ur room are open so that humidity remains at save levels for ur computer...I mean the door wich u close before doing ur bizness...That should take care of humidity but not the whole thing...Also A/cs are the best...If u get a 5star split ac then it is going to cost u 22000 and also a monthly bill of 4000extra for 12 hours usage...Acs are the best thing man has invented for summers...Drink water for dehydration in ac rooms and rest is all fine and good for u and ur pc....I used a cooler last year....My gpu got fried and the technician said it had moistless all over it....Was it the cooler....may be....I will use my computer in an AC room now during daytime....But since ur tight on budget....Go for desert cooler with ample cross room ventilation.

Peace~~~!

I don't think I have the setup in such a way that I can have an Air Cooler setup outside the window since this would mean I may have to get a stand made for that near the window outside

tkin

Back to school!!
You can get a cheap 1 ton ac and install it, coolers are too much trouble, also the humidity kills electronics faster.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
.r u playing to use laptop in a cooler room....If thats the case then it is not recommended....Humidity kills laptops.

Peace~~~!

I used a cooler last year....My gpu got fried and the technician said it had moistless all over it....Was it the cooler....may be

Peace~~~!

You can get a cheap 1 ton ac and install it, coolers are too much trouble, also the humidity kills electronics faster.

Guys you are scaring me saying the humidity factor may kill the electronics. I have a laptop and a desktop in the same room.

Having the A/C option open if at all budget permits. Only worry is I maybe shifting often so would that be a concern.

Rockstar11

Technomancer
LG LSUC2BW1AF1 0.75 Ton Split Air Conditioner Price – Rs.15,000

Voltas Vertis Plus 0.75 Ton Split Air Conditioner Price – Rs. 15,570

Samsung AS10UTA 1.0 Ton Split AC Price – Rs.16,100

any Spilt A/C available @ 10k ? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom