What Thermal Compound should I buy for my Laptop CPU?

dan4u

Took Off!!!
I've got a HP DV4-1216tu that's 3 years old, it heats up pretty high during normal use i.e 75-82c, I'm going to clean it and reapply the Thermal paste.
I'm planning to use the Artic silver 5, is it good enough? or is there any other compound that's better? also could anyone suggest a can of compressed air?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
AS5 is good but it's electroconductive - so you need to be very careful while applying/using this - for good but non electroconductive solution look for CM TF400 or Noctua NT-H1.

OP
dan4u

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Thanks, any idea where I can get these online? I couldn't find it on ebay or itdepot.....

aloodum

Journeyman
AS5 is good but it's electroconductive - so you need to be very careful while applying/using this - for good but non electroconductive solution look for CM TF400 or Noctua NT-H1.

+1 .... Most ppl have a tendancy to overapply the thermal paste and many a times it spills over to the area surrounding the mobo and is sometimes even seeps onto the socket as well.

@@ OP: I'd advise you better stick with non conducting solution. The CM TF400 is a readily available product , even in decent stores.
Check for stores like primeabgb, deltapage,bitfang etc..loads of them.
If all fails, your local comp shop will have single use satchets of 10-20 bucks which you may use.The quality is decent. I found only a difference of 1-2 degrees at idle & a max of 4 degrees on an hour of gaming on my previous phenom II x4 with the stock cooler.
But avoid the graphite based thermal pads which these folks sometime try to pass off as a easier to apply solution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom