What song are you addicted to at the moment?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Did anyone watch dune ? It's soundtrack is stuck in my head since a week
Yeah, I liked the adaptation of the book. It's very similar to how I imagined the setting to look and feel like, including the visuals and the sounds. The only issue I have is some of the missing plot points and relatively fast pacing of the story.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Yeah, I liked the adaptation of the book. It's very similar to how I imagined the setting to look and feel like, including the visuals and the sounds. The only issue I have is some of the missing plot points and relatively fast pacing of the story.
Thats true, this should have been the modern LOTR with 3 hours of movie a piece. It felt rushed, all modern movies feel rushed.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think the movie will be a trilogy because the book is also divided into three parts. Personally I think the movie should have ended when the Harkonnens attack the city with the Sardaukar and the plot was a bit more fleshed out in between. The Baron Harkonnen is not shown to be too scary while in the book he's so cunning and scheming that he could rival his own mentat. Same for the Sardaukar, they were severely nerfed to make the heroes look cool, when in the book everyone s***s themselves over the Sardaukar because nobody can defeat them, except the Fremen.

I think the story would have been more impactful if the characters were a bit more fleshed out.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Desmond How would you rate movie adaptation of Dune compared to LOTR? For reference, I saw LOTR movies first & then read the novel & found it to be much better not to mention they kind of boosted the character of Aragorn vis-a-vis Gandalf especially in last part(in one scene they actually reversed the scenario where Gandalf was the one who suggested to attack Black gates of Mordor as a distraction while in movie it was switched to Aragorn making the suggestion).

P.S. Still I don't regret watching the movies first as special effects & acting alone were worth it.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
How would you rate movie adaptation of Dune compared to LOTR?
No comparison. The LOTR movie is way above Dune. The good thing about the LOTR movie (I haven't read the books) is that the pacing is just right and all characters are well established and story events progress in a way that makes sense.

I don't have an issue with movies changing the narrative from the books. The issue I have with Dune is in it's implementation. The pacing is a bit too fast, as in events occur before main characters are properly established. For example, we don't know much about Rabban and Baron Harkonnen other than them being evil and that they hate the Atreides. So, the only thing we can infer is that they attack Arakeen simply to destroy the Atreides bloodline. I don't think this is a strong enough motivation. In the book, the Baron Harkonnen has an elaborate plan on not only destroying the Atreides, but also to put his nephew, how is not mentioned in the movie, on the throne as a new Emperor, in fact he's been grooming his nephew for exactly this for most of the book.

Similarly, when the Sardaukar are introduced, it's in a scene that makes no sense and tells nothing about what they are capable of or what their motivations are. Literally no difference between the Harkonnen troops and them.

How the spacing guild "folds space-time" to travel faster than light is also not shown. One moment they are on Caladan and in another scene they are exiting the guild ship to land on Arrakis. Imagine not showing how ships travel in hyperspace in Star Wars.

Now, all of this makes sense in the way that the movie is mostly focusing on Paul while the books told the story from the point of view of other characters as well. But still it makes important characters such as the Baron and other bad guys just two-dimensional cardboard cutouts. Plus I think some more details should have been shown.

I could rant more, but this post has already gone way off-topic. :p

D

Deleted member 345628

Yeah, I didn't know my dad knew who CCR were. He usually plays ghazals and stuff. Though he also plays Beatles and Elvis as well sometimes.
Is your family from abroad or something? Usually a dad listening to english music made me think that ....
and the name .. "Desmond"

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I love this song from LOTR series.

Did you know that Ed Sheeran keeps his Albums as Math symbols :)

+ (2011)
x (2014)
+ (2017)
= (2021)

Pretty unique ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom