What is the unit of weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 26636

I had a random debate with a friend of mine who said that the unit of weight is only newton & it can never be kg! He says that kg is the unit of mass only.Is this correct?what exactly is the unit of weight?does it change in certain conditions?if so what conditions?please tell me as i am only getting conflicting answers on the internet & i have quite forgotten my physics.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
wright is measured as force exerted at COM...lol...rofl...:p
But seriously I lost all my physics concepts too :D

sakumar79

Technomancer
kg is the unit of mass only and not weight... Weight is measured in Newtons and kg-f (kilogram force, which is kg x acceleration due to gravity... Loosely, we use kg to measure weight while actually we are measuring mass... Do note that 1kg=1kg-f so, instead of saying weight is 50kg, we should say weight is 50kg-f....

Arun

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Unit of Weight is Newtons. Not Kgs. Mass is Kgs.
And what you measure using scales is MASS in Kgs, Not weight......

confused!!

It's true Im not confused
Weight is measured in newton from what I remeber from my schooldays...But mere liye toh weight hamesha kgs mein hi rahega...atleast till I lose 15 KGS:D:D

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Mass is an absolute unit. An iron block of one kg will be one kg wherever it is in the universe. While weight is the force of gravity exerted on object by another object. Spring or electronic balances measure weight while pan balances measure mass. For example, if a material gives a reading of 1000 gms in an electronic balance in Chennai, it would read about 990 gms in Leh. It would read 167 gms in moon. While if measured with a pan balance it would read 1 kg whichever part of the universe you're in.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey very good thread. Should be in Tutorial section :p

Take a look at these :
*ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gene_nygaard/weight.htm
*www.hitxp.com/phy/cph/020902.htm
*www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/periodic_table/mass.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom