What is the Differance between OpenSuSE and SLED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Hi

I read an article about SuSE linux Enterprise Desktop edition in LFY magazine in one if the issues of this year. The screenshots and overall information that they have given is pretty good.

I was trying to find out more on opensuse website. But I didn't find anything.

Now all I want is,
1) Is there any differance in the 2? Open SuSE and SLED? Apart from support that Novell provids?
2) Can I get SLED for free, without any support and all?

Aditya

aku

Gonna make it BiG
yeah sure.. u can get SLED for free.. jus dwnload it.. and its not illegal.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Aditya.shevade, Here is the SLED web page, click here
Download 60 day evaluation of SLED from here

NOTE: You must first create a new Novell account. Login using that account & download SLED.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It does work beyond 60 days AFAIK. It's just that you don't get official patches after that but then you can use yum or smart and repos for OpenSuse.
But that kind of defeats the whole purpose of getting SLED. So, IMO, there's really nothing about SLED over OpenSuse.

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
What I am asking is, I liked the desktop environment of SLED. It's good, and then I took a look at the open SuSE screenshots and that desktop was not like the one of SLED.

I am talking about the 'computer' menu and all. And I read it somewhere that 3D desktop and overall graphics acceleration is better in SLED than in OpenSuSE.

And after that 60 day evolution period is over, are all the features still accecible? Apart from the support? And will it be good enough without support, I mean I can always get the help from various sources na?

Aditya

Last edited:

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Yes, all the features available remains even after 60 days. It's not a demo version. Only that you won't be having official downloads + support available.

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
So should I go for that, I mean the differance in the screenshots is really big. What do you people say SLED or Open SuSE? And what is the meaning that I will not get the oficial updates/downloads? What comes under official downloads? And will I be able to install software on it or not? After 60 days?

Aditya

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Aditya.shevade, SLED is meant for the Enterprise market. For home users 'Open Suse Linux"
is good enough. @Riyaz & @Mehul , you guys are right. SLED does work after 60 days.
If you want support + patches then you have to buy it.

You better stick with Open Suse Linux, SLED will work even after 60 days.
But you can't get the software updates + bug fixes.For that you have to buy SLED.

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
So what is your final word. Open SuSE or SLED? And please can someone explain the differance between them apart from the visual diplay and desktop and that search tool? Does Opes SuSE have 3D desktop (in the DVD, preinstalled package) and glass windows?

Aditya

mehulved

I'd say OpenSUSE cos I didn't like the idea of mixing up softwares from SLED with OpenSUSE repos. And you will have to do that to have updates beyond 60 days.
And anyways even OpenSUSE is XGL/AIGLX enabled AFAIK. You may be talking about the GNOME menu in SLED, I don't know if it is present on OpenSUSE but it is possible to have that menu on any other distro, I am right.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yeah, i'd also suggest OpenSuSE. Its got more software than SLED. XGL is not as easy to install as in SLED, but its not difficult either. If you use OpenSuSE repos in SLED, you are bound to break it sometime or the other. And yeah if you want XGL install Gnome. KDE is not very well supported. All in all OpenSuSE is a great distro. If you wanna wait a little, OpenSuSE 10.2 is on the way ;) (7th dec).

Edit: Forgot to mention, but if you are planning to use OpenSuSE 10.1, make sure you have the Remastered Version. The Original version had some issues with updates and the remastered version will save you on a LOT of headache :)

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@kalpik

I already have all the 5 CDs of opensuse10.1. I don't know if they are remastered ones. I got them from PC world DVD few months back.

And I am going ahead with open SuSE now.

Aditya

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
@aditya.shevade: Hmm.. Few months ago.. Then they must be the old ISOs. Anyway, go ahead with them and make sure you install smart package manager because Yast is broken :(

*susewiki.org/index.php?title=Smart

mehulved

Otherwise too I find smart better than YASt for package management. Even yum should do. Maybe cos of my familiarity with Debian based distros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom