what is LAN CARD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i havemtnl broadband.they gave me 400 MB and speed is 256 kbps but it looks like 50kbps or 60 kbps.i test my broadband speed in most website they show only 50kbps.my network connection shows in the taskbar 280 kbps.mtnl says add an LAN CARD to improve your speed.is that true why did they give ADSL. What is ADSL ? .i dont have LAN CARD but have ADSL give my mtnl.which LAN CARD i buy ?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Are you sure its 50 kbps and not 50 KBps (Capital B)?? And yes, a LAN card gives better stability.. Go for any card that has a realtek chipset.. ADSL= Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Link.

kalpik

Yes!

kbps=Kilo bits per second
KBps=Kilo bytes per second

And 1 byte=8bits..

So on a 256 kbps connection, you should get around 28-32 KBps.

And 2 mins for 1 MB is slow for a 256 kbps connection... Try calling up customer care..

OP
N

nvidiasingh2006mb

Broken In
kalpik said:
Yes!

And 1 byte=8bits..

So on a 256 kbps connection, you should get around 28-32 KBps.

And 2 mins for 1 MB is slow for a 256 kbps connection... Try calling up customer care..
they say buy a LAN card

kalpik

A LAN card will not increase speed. Though it will improve connection stability.. Anyways, i also suggest you buy a LAN card. Its of 250-300 bucks only so no harm..

sakumar79

Technomancer
Most new motherboards have a built-in LAN point... Check your system specification to avoid an unnecessary purchase...

Arun

shoegoe

Broken In
Amm... i think u are using ur router through usb.. it should provide more than enough bandwith eliminating the need for a lan card.

for a 256kbps connection=32kBps connection, the connnection throught usb is very suited and changing to a lan can may not provide a speed boost.. Sometimes, u get low speeds in certain sites due to their server overload or overload in your own isp network..

1) check your speed properly .. when u are checkin the speed in a site , dont go to other sites or download anything.. i think ur speed is calculated for downloadin and uploation some packages to and from ur system. like when u check ur speed in a site, what u are actually doing is gettin and sending some peice of packages around 50-500 kB to and from that web site server..so dont use ur internet for others at the sme time as the bandwith will not be checked properly

2) Understand the difference between kbps and kBps..

and u know 1024 kBs make one mb..

So.. what u are having is a 256kbps=32kBps connection ..that is .. ur max download speed would be about 32kBps.. Notice the small and capital b difference..

On average, u should get about 28~32 kBps speed.. Notice that most of the discussions are done in kBps and not kbps..(quite confusing things)

if u understand the above things.. try a speed test in a good site

If ur problem still presists..

1) Check ur phone wire connection to ur modem/router..if there are loose phone cable joints before the splitter box , or if the two copper wires touch somethin or if there is any disturbance in the phone line, your adsnl link will be cut off and the modem will again try to connect to isp.. this will result in frequent slow / dead speeds..

2) if ur phone cable is ok, check ur system.. check wheater u have any softwares that limit ur bandwith like netlimiter.. check weather only certain applications(like ur browsers and download managers) are allowd to access the
net so that bandwith isnt used by third party applications..

3) if are still facing slow speeds, complain to ur customer care.. they shoudl provide a 256 kbps link and 32 kBps speed regardless of a lan port or a usb port.. it is not that lan ports give better speeds (noticable) than a usb.. u can ask them to correct it... no one said that slow speed are due to usb connection.. u can ask them ..u have an upper hand..

If u are still not satisfied or not able to get support from customer care, in last option, go for a lan card..it also doesnt cost much and will put the customer care people's options less...

NOTE: i gave these points with regards to bsnl bb. mostly mtnl is equivalent

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom