What is Contrast Ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krinish

Journeyman
What is it?

I am getting my benq monitor *www.benq.co.in/products/LCD/?product=1374&page=specifications

replaced by

*www.benq.co.in/products/LCD/?product=1247&page=specifications

They are asking me to pay more for this model, as the model I bought has issues and its well within warranty. just two months old.
One thing I need to know is old monitor had the below contrast ratio.

Contrast Ratio1000:1(Dynamic Contrast Ratio 10000:1)

While the new monitor's contrast ratio is mentioned below.

Contrast Ratio700:1

Which one is better, how big would be the diference? how does this technology work and whats with the numbering?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Contrast ratio is overhyped term these days.

The word Dynamic is a misnomer. Even a monitor having a 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio won't be able to beat a monitor having a true contrast ratio of 700:1.

Read more about Contrast ratio

OP
K

krinish

Journeyman
Contrast ratio is overhyped term these days.

The word Dynamic is a misnomer. Even a monitor having a 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio won't be able to beat a monitor having a true contrast ratio of 700:1.

Read more about Contrast ratio

Which one is better?

E900WA

Screen Size19" WideResolution1440x900(WXGA+)Pixel Pitch 0.283Brightness300 cd/㎡Contrast Ratio700:1Response Time5ms Display Area408.24x255.15(mm)Display Colors16.2 millionViewing Angle160/160 (L/R;U/D) (CR>=10)Input SignalsD-sub / DVI-DHorizontal Frequency (KHz)31 - 83 (KHz)Vertical Frequency (Hz)55 - 76 (Hz)Video Bandwidth (MHZ)25 - 135 (MHz)Color TemperatureReddish/Normal/Bluish/User modePower Consumption45W (max)Power SupplyBuilt-inFeaturesSenseye+Photo
VIsta Premium Certification
Kensington Lock
VESA wall mounting 100 x 100 mmAdjustments (UP/DOWN)Tilt -5/20 (down/up)Dimensions (WxHxD)391.6x448x179.4(mm)Weight3.78 kgAccessories (Standard)Quick start guide
User manual CD
VGA, audio cableEmission StandardTCO'03

or G900HDA

Screen Size18.5"ColorSilver black / BlackResolution1366 x 768Pixel Pitch 0.3Brightness300 cd/m2Contrast Ratio1000:1(Dynamic Contrast Ratio 10000:1)Response Time5msDisplay Area409.8x230.4 (mm)Display Colors16.7 millionViewing Angle170/160Input SignalsD-subHorizontal Frequency (KHz)30 ~ 83Vertical Frequency (Hz)50 ~ 76Video Bandwidth (MHZ)25 - 135Color TemperatureReddish / Normal/ Bluish /user modePower Consumption30W (max)Power SupplyBuilt-inFeaturesSenseye+Photo Technology
Dynamic Contrast Ratio 10000:1
5ms Response Time
16.7 Million display Color
HDCP CompliantAdjustments (UP/DOWN)Tilt -5/20 (down/up)Dimensions (WxHxD)443.7x342.3x165 mmWeight3.6 kgAccessories (Standard)VGA cableEmission StandardTCO'03Vista CertificationBasic

I payed 8000rs for G900HDA.
Its is getting replaced by E900WA, and i have to pay 450 rs more.

Is is Worth folks?

arupch

Tech Addict
Why should you pay? If the older model is not available - you shall be given the next higher model automatically.
BTW what defects did you had with the earlier monitor?

I purchased a E900W for Rs. 8.1K +VAT

OP
K

krinish

Journeyman
The earlier benq Monitor was faulty, blurring vertically in 5 lines.
They replaced it with another monitor of the same model and it too had a similar issue.

Quite unusually the replaced monitor had the same Serial numbver , upon enquiry, they said that they had chnaged the Serila number sticker for issues realated to
warranty. they swapped the serial number sticker.
Since the replaced monitor was also faulty.

They settled on giving me E900WA if i payed 450 rs more.
I had alreday payed 8000 rs for G900HDA.

arupch

Tech Addict
where u from?
its their responsibility to give you a replacement and satisfy you. Dont pay any extra money. If they feel that the model itself is defective and the problem can not be solved they will give you a higher model without any extra cost.
its their service centre details:
*www.benq.co.in/page/?pageId=273
*benq.com/page/?pageId=26 (mail them also a copy of your complain)
Also write to Service-In@BenQ.com with a copy to their local service centre that if the issue is not resolved immediately they will hear from a lawyer representing you in the consumer court.
Also the serial no. of the product is not to be tampered by anyone - even by the service guy. If they give you the replacement - the new serial no. should be mentioned on the replacement paper.
What the local service centre of BenQ told me that - is they give a replacement - they will bring a new monitor to your place install it and take back the defective one. Try to get in contact with someone in higher position in BenQ.

OP
K

krinish

Journeyman
Im from bangalore.

Its been nightmare for me since i purchased the benq monitor on 30th october. I have not used it once.

The Bought monitor was faulty. The Service for benq is handled by a company called neoteric.co.in. One Guy from that company came and confirmed that the monitor is faulty and took the monitor along with him, 3 weeks ago. He bought another monitor of the same model 2 weeks ago and it had the same problem. Unusually the replacement monitor had the same serial number. The guy said because of Benq policies with them, they had to stick the faulty monitors Serial number on the new monitor. Upon calling neoteric. The head said, that in fact it was the new monitor with the old serial number stuck on it. I didnt accept the replacement monitor, so he took it along and the head of neoteric called me yesterday and informed that they have contacted Benq and have informed that the customer (thats me) should uninstall the drivers and always use the monitor at the maximum resoltion, any lower resoltion will make it blurry(Even though, neotric guy had did this himself couple of times, when he visited my place) . I didnt buy that explaination, and the head of neo made a conf call with the BEnq sales head. I informed him the issue, he told he will call bcak, but then after 3 hours I get a call from neoteric informning that they will send a new monitor of a different model, and i have to pay 450 rs.

The model was E900W. Im not sure what to do? What is the cost of this model in computer shops?

Please help.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Benq G900HDA is better than E900WA.

The E900WA suffers the problem of poor contrast ratio.

OP
K

krinish

Journeyman
Benq G900HDA is better than E900WA.

The E900WA suffers the problem of poor contrast ratio.

ohh I didnt know that. I know its older than the G series. But I have got no idea why they charging 450 rs for it.

The market price for E900w is 7800 rs.

arupch

Tech Addict
Stick to your claim.
I recently bought a E900W. after installation the monitor showed some slight colouration of the scrren from left to right which was very minor and can only be seen on a completely white page (left side was pinkish while the right side was yellowish) also had some backlight bleeding.
Called BenQ service immediately - a technician appeared in my home and admitted that there is some problem and took photographs of the LCD under different condition.. After a few days they came to my house again to take some picture again because the problem could not seen in the earlier photos clearly. After a few days when I contacted the service centre regarding the status they said that since the problem is very minor it can not be clearly seen on the photo - benq is not ready with a repalcement.
I told them to go to hell and argued that the technician himself admitted the problem - and how to represent that in a photo is their problem. I gave them a weeks time and told them if within that time I do not get replacement - i'll go to consumer court.
Just now received a call from BenQ saying that the replacement had been approved and they will deliver the monitor today or tomorrow.

So, stick to your point, be agressive and you will get your replacement. Also ask the guy to give it in writing under what clause they asking Rs 450 as payment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom