What is Blue Screen Of Death ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
actually what is the 'blue screen of death' ? i have read and heard about it.
when, why, how does it occur ? but dont know exactly what it is. :oops:

bharathbala2003

why need title?
well have u used WIN98?? then ull surely know wat is that.. mayb u dint know that it was that.. :D

when working in windows suddenly u get a error.. and a blue screen comes.. sayin press ctrl+alt+del n stuffs.. like u put a cd and click on auto run.. then press the eject cd button.. ull get a blue screen askin for a CD.. if u reinstert the cd and press ENTER the error will go else press ESC a few times and ull land up in WINDOWS desktop.. but sumtimes the same type of blue screen comes in windows.. all u can do is press the RESET button or Ctrl+alt+del..

since am using WIN XP been a LONG time since i saw it.. mayb anyuser here cld post a screenie :wink:

rajas

In the zone
An error that can appear on computers running in a Windows' environment. This includes even the earliest versions of Windows such as Windows 3.0 and 3.1, and still occurs in later versions such as Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, and Windows 2000 and XP. Jokingly called the blue screen of death because when the error occurs, the screen turns blue, and the computer almost always freezes and requires rebooting.

Chk out the link for all the Windows XP Stop Errors with the troubelshooting links included: *aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
BSOD time= the time when each user curses bill gates and his company

Even Dictionary.com knows it!!!*forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

Blue Screen of death

<humour> (BSOD) The infamous white-on-blue text screen which
appears when Microsoft Windows crashes. BSOD is mostly seen
on the 16-bit systems such as Windows 3.1, but also on
Windows 95 and apparently even under Windows NT 4. It is
most likely to be caused by a GPF, although Windows 95 can
do it if you've removed a required CD-ROM from the drive.
It is often impossible to recover cleanly from a BSOD.

The acronym BSOD is sometimes used as a verb, e.g. "Windoze
just keeps BSODing on me today".

rajesh

Journeyman
WOw. :shock:

There is actualy a person who uses Windows and hasn't heard of Blue Screen of Death.

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
ya !

ya rajesh, i quess i m lucky ! i had heard so much about it, i use 2 hope secretly dat i got to c 1 on my pc. but no such luck ! :lol: hope it stays dat way !

bharathbala2003

why need title?
Re: thnx.

anandk said:
ok, thanx ! i use win xp. do u get it on win xp ? :?:

ctrl_alt_del said:
Oh yeah, you do! :D

cody i dont think u get it in XP.. ive been using XP for about 2 yrs now and i haven got it still.. but once in a while i gotta use 98..and few times encounter it..

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
@Bala: Consider yourself lucky then. When I plug my DOCSIS 2 modem to my computer through the USB port, XP BSODs me after 3 to 5 mins of activity! Like the Old Faithfull!

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
BSODs in Windows 2000 and XP are technically called STOP errors, which usually happens when the kernel encounters a serious error from which it cannot recover. These things can be caused any which way, usually because of faulty device driver or software that throws an unhandled exception or an illegal operation. Even faulty hardware cause these errors.

The STOP error contains the error code and its symbolic name (ex: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) as well as four values in parentheses. It displays the address where the problem occurred, along with the driver in question. All of this information can be used to examine why the STOP error is popping up. Without all of the above information, diagnosing and resolving a STOP error may prove near impossible. But usually, the problem usually lies with anything that you have changed/added/removed recently.

Take my case. One fine day, 5 minutes after I booted up the computer, it would go into a STOP error with an UDFS file system error. It popped up over and over again, and I was in no particular mood to reinstall Windows XP and all programs all over again. As always, the STOP error had all the information I had ever needed. It had said there was an error with the UDF system, and I had only one program on my computer that used UDF, Nero InCD, the packet-writing software that used the UDFS. Then I remembered that just three days before the error, I had applied the SP2 compatibility patch for all Nero products, InCD included. Disabling the InCD service from starting automatically, I found the error disappeared and reappeared when I started it manually. It wasnt too tough to put two and two together and a complete reinstall of Nero fixed the problem for good. The next time you get a STOP error, make a note of it in detail and we can most likely fix it, if its caused by a recent change.

TweakXP.com found a "feature" in which it was possible to crash Windows XP manually to get the BSOD. Open regedit, navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters
Create a new DWORD value and name it CrashOnCtrlScroll. Right-click on this newly created value and click on Modify and enter 1 in the Value data field and close and reboot. Now you can BSOD your system by holding the right CTRL key and pressing "Scroll Lock" twice. You may need to turn off "Automatically restart" in Startup and Recovery properties (right click My Computer>Properties>Advanced)

The two most famous BSODs in history so far are where the OS BSODed when mighty Bill Gates was presenting it to the media and in November 2004, when over 65000 computers BSODed in the UK government when they migrated from 2000 to XP and applied a patch, making all Microsoft engineers run helter-skelter trying to fix the problem. Of course, I am sure you would all know about the funny screensavers that use a BSOD, including the ones in Linux.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
lol @ cody see dint i tell.. prof has some solution to every error on a computer :wink:

P.S: y not make him error handler :wink: lol jus kiddin

vmlinuz

Right off the assembly line
Re: thnx.

anandk said:
ok, thanx ! i use win xp. do u get it on win xp ? :?:

I think its an inbuilt function of Microsoft. I can't imagine Microsoft without blue sceen.

It is something like 'Wherever is micosoft, there is blue sceen of death.' :lol:

girish_b

Journeyman
if there are compaitability problem between hardwares or softwares.,, a blus screen appears suddenly and the system gets restarted. that's also a BSOD

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
What is BSOD??

This is...............
*www.geocities.com/cyberdony2k/bsod98.png
*www.geocities.com/cyberdony2k/cdbsod.png

This comes up when you have some application error or driver problems or sometimes just without a reason, in Windows 98. Once this even happened to Bill Gates when he was showing Windows 98 to the world. It was quite embarassing for him.
To bring up a BSOD in Windows 98 (not sure it happens in later versions of Windows, not surely in XP), you will need to do just this.......

Start>>Run>>con/con

You may even type 'con/con' in your explorer or Internet Explorer to bring up a BSOD as shown in the picture above. You can even do this in other's browsers. Just set the homepage to con/con and each time someone opens IE, the Windows will crash and bring up a BSOD.

You can even use third party tools to generate BSOD. Download any one or all of the following to bring up a BSOD in Windows 98 and ME to bring up a BSOD.

*www.computerpranks.com/download/programs/prank/dos/tib.zip

On XP and NT also you get a BSOD but they look a little different from those of 98. In NT and XP, very critical errors only lead to a BSOD. You can download a fake BSOD creator from the link below for XP.

*www.sysinternals.com/files/bluescrn.zip

This is a screensaver, trust me the best one you can get. If you want to prank your friend, just install this screensaver and it will show BSOD and it will make him feel like the windows is restarting because of the error. Just after the fake restart, another BSOD and again after sometime, restart and so on. If you move the mouse, the screensaver wont go off but if you press any key on the keyboare, it will just go off.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom