what is a system require ment for ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
mak1012

mak1012

Journeyman
Thanx to all to you rocket357 and mehulved

i sucessfully installed ubuntu at my home PC with alternate CD..( i wasted my 1 cd on live cd :))

now i'm facing one problem while installing i gave my all data i.e. ip address gateway, subnet but i'm not able to connect to the internet. i'm using hathway's connection.

can u please suggest me how i can install how i can install java, mySQL,if possible VB. codec pack for Ubuntu.
i cant download the software at home becoz i'm using limited download connection. i will download from my college.

Last edited:

rocket357

Security freak
mak1012 said:
i cant download the software at home becoz i'm using limited download connection. i will download from my college.

Read this:
*help.ubuntu.com/7.04/add-applications/C/install-file.html

Then download the files from here:
*packages.debian.org/stable/

When you find a package you want to install be sure to look at the dependencies! If you download a package with dependencies and you don't download the dependencies, it WILL fail. So download all of the dependencies, the packages you want, and get them to your home machine (via CD, usb key, etc...). Then install them as per the guidelines in the first link I posted.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
mak1012 said:
now i'm facing one problem while installing i gave my all data i.e. ip address gateway, subnet but i'm not able to connect to the internet. i'm using hathway's connection.
There's nothing more to do, Check if your /etc/network/interfaces file has some entry similar to below
Code:
iface eth0 inet static
address 202.88.xxx.xxx
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 202.88.xxx.xxx

auto eth0

mak1012 said:
can u please suggest me how i can install how i can install java, mySQL,if possible VB. codec pack for Ubuntu.
If you have a USB Drive or something, you can drop by at VJTI, we have about 1GB of software for feisty. I can make an iso of it using apt-on-cd. No CD/DVD writers so can't give you on those.
If you're going to come inform me in advance.

OP
mak1012

mak1012

Journeyman
mehulved said:
If you have a USB Drive or something, you can drop by at VJTI, we have about 1GB of software for feisty. I can make an iso of it using apt-on-cd. No CD/DVD writers so can't give you on those.

hey thanx man check your yahoo messenger .... on Monday i think i'll meet you if you have time.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
mehulved said:
I can make an iso of it using apt-on-cd. No CD/DVD writers so can't give you on those.
there is the answer! install this software on the computer where you will download. then run this prog. it'll make an iso image of all the installation files. delete them from the original one. copy this file in a cd/flash drive and install at home.

secondly, check the interfaces files for network configuration. try to find out the network adaptor and configre ip/subnet/gateway accordingly. simply add the lines in the format mehul mentioned in that file.

mehulved

mak1012 said:
hey thanx man check your yahoo messenger .... on Monday i think i'll meet you if you have time.
Actually if you can come on sunday between 11am and 1pm, it'd be much better.
And are you connecting you Broadband modem via USB? That could also be the problem. It requires to load some usbether modules and there's some obscure driver, which had worked for me in Mandriva once.

OP
mak1012

mak1012

Journeyman
mehulved said:
Actually if you can come on sunday between 11am and 1pm, it'd be much better.
sorry yaar i cant come on Sunday i have My java classes. tell me some time during weekdays.

And are you connecting you Broadband modem via USB? That could also be the problem. It requires to load some usbether modules and there's some obscure driver, which had worked for me in Mandriva once.
no i'm connecting it through LAN card i thing i dont have to installed ne driver for that.

iface eth0 inet static
address 202.88.xxx.xxx
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 202.88.xxx.xxx

auto eth0
i'm not getting in /etc/network/interfaces
auto eth0

i'm not able to see DNS in network is it ok?
how to check for that?:?

mehulved

OK, will see what other time can be permitted. They have some restrictions on letting outsiders come in. Or if you could drop by at 3-3:30 on sunday, that would do too. Or before 9am.

For your networking problems. Check these 2 files

/etc/network/interfaces
Code:
address 202.88.xxx.xxx
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 202.88.xxx.xxx

auto eth0
If it's not there, then edit the file as root, using whatever text editor you're familiar with
Give your IP adress besides address feild and gateway besides gateway feild.

/etc/resolv.conf
Code:
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 202.88.130.15
nameserver 202.88.130.5
nameserver 202.88.130.67
That's how my entry looks like. Edit yours to replace the DNS entries. I believe they should be the same, except the first one. I run bind locally on my PC.

OP
mak1012

mak1012

Journeyman
mehulved said:
OK, will see what other time can be permitted. They have some restrictions on letting outsiders come in. Or if you could drop by at 3-3:30 on sunday, that would do too. Or before 9am.

ok before 9.00am on Sunday is possible coz have java tuition at 12 at borivali. i can easily reach there if i leave at 9.30 from vjti.

thanx a lot mehul i'm editing this post from ubuntu this is my first post from linux to this world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom