What I Want In Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajendra99

Broken In
I know Windows gets it daily dose of bashing from its users & haters. But we (arguably) can't live in a world without Windows. I am using Windows XP and would like some solutions with common sense. See if you agree with me. Add to the list if you feel. Or try to suggest some way-out if you can.

What I Want In Windows-
1. Why not "No To All"?
While copying or moving files from a folder to another, if same filename exists in destination folder, we get a prompt asking whether we want to replace the file with these options - "yes", "yes to all" , "no" and "cancel".

Why not "No To All"?

2. Sort them right
WinMe used to sort files considering zeroes. like this-

now WinXP sorts them like this-

Thus, WinXP ignores first xeroes in filenames like in mathematics. But most programs don't. Irfanview for example. While viewing pics with Irfan View, hitting spacebar brings next file (as per earlier convention of file sorting). But XP lists the files in folders in this modified way. If I want to move that pic to another folder, I have a difficult time locating the original file. Any solution?

3. Right Click - Wrong Click
In IE or Explorer, right-clicking on anything brings up the context menu which contains many options. I never e-mail anything from a web page on the fly to anybody nor do I print pictures from a web page. Still those unused options are up there ahead of those other ones I actually use often. How to modify the right-click menu? in IE & Explorer?

4. Saving Pics With Hassles
To save pics on a web page in IE6, we have to right-click on it, then select save as (or hit S key). Then if filename exists, typing another name is a chore. I use a program 'Save Pic No Ask' for this. Now I right-click and select save from the modified context menu. Pics get saved to predefined folders, even according to websites. But there is no way I can associate a single key to select this "save" option. I have to do it with mouse. How can I assign a key for this action. It will be easy to right-click & hit Z key (it is closet to my left hand).

5. Changing Proxies in IE
I want to change proxy while surfing. It is a long process, Select Tools>Internet Options>Connections Tab>LAN Settings>Then type the proxy & port>Select OK>Again select OK. Then wait & see if the proxy works or not. Otherwise go thru same steps again and again. How can I switch (predetermined) proxies on the fly?

6. Notepad misbehaves in XP
When I type text in Notepad without wordwrap feature (in Win Me or XP), it continues in single line, scrolling

horizontally until I hit Enter. So most of us use word wrap feature turned on. Now in XP, whatever text I type

in Notepad (with word-wrap on) and then copy-paste into another application like E-Mail or any text field in browser, it does not adjust itself to the width of that text field. It behaves as if I had hit "Enter key" after every line in the original Notepad window. Then I have to remove those line-breaks manually. This also happens if I resize Notepad window, or add a word to a paragraph. Why is this happening in WinXP? It does not happen in WinMe.

(Note: I have left this above para as it was copied from Notepad. See the errors in paragraphing when I added new words. It doesn't happen in Word Pad)

rj2k

Broken In
1.and u cannot customize windows to have a no-to-all button!
3.also for right clicking thing, as i always say, use opera, speedier and better browser and no hassles!
4.and there is a prog to save pictures in ie with one button.search for it in google.
5.for using proxies use opera browser it has superb options for proxy handling.
6.use wordpad instead of notepad or some other text editor!!

OP
R

rajendra99

Broken In
What is funny in XP? Tell me if u no, Pranzter.

And blade_runner, the avatar was resized but imageshack.us sucks. Know any other image hosting service? BTW, your avatar doesn't show too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom