What exactly is my VRAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
hey all, i hav a intel d845gl mobo with onboard video(it sux, i know)...it is intel extreme graphics with the latest graphics

now, from the BIOS, i hv shared 8 MB for it.....and there is also an option to set AGP aperture size.......the thing is that there is no AGP port on the bord...and i dont know what happens from the aperture size...earlier it was 64mb, but there was no effect when i reduced it....

the dxdiag shows my memory as 64 mb approx. and wome applications show it as 8mb...so what exactly is my VRAM????

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Short for Video RAM, and pronounced vee-ram. VRAM is special-purpose memory used by video adapters. Unlike conventional RAM, VRAM can be accessed by two different devices simultaneously. This enables the RAMDACto access the VRAM for screen updates at the same time that the video processor provides new data. VRAM yields better graphics performance but is more expensive than normal RAM.

A special type of VRAM, called Windows RAM (WRAM), yields even better performance than conventional VRAM.

OP
thetopcyborg

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
ummm, u didn't understand my question.....i know what IS VRAM....
i want to know HOW MUCH is my VRAM(or video memory)

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Go to BIOS , Advanced BIOS Features, see the Onboard VGA frame buffer size.
That will tell you exactly how much VRAM you are using.

OP
thetopcyborg

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
then what's AGP aperture size? i dont hv an AGP slot..
and then y is dxdiag showing my video mem. to be 64mb approx.?

OP
thetopcyborg

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
thats what my dxdiag shows, that i hv 64mb approx. vram
but there was one game in which it showed the vram reqd. and vram i have, it showed some 8mb.....im really confused...and the performance is also of 8 mb :( doesn't anyone else have a d845gl mobo?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: "AGP Texture Acceleration" "Not Available"

Hey thetopcyborg I have also a mercury 845glm board. Bios shows that i can
share maxium of 8 MB for VRAM and dxdiag shows 64 MB. But this is not my question. In dxdiag it shows that "AGP Texture Acceleration" "Not Available". Can U Plz tell me in dxdiag your "AGP Texture Acceleration" option is showing the same thing or not.

OP
thetopcyborg

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
nopes, it shows me 32MB or 64MB and other memory values....i have d845glly mobo....

and btw, i can run CS:czero nicely on my comp. except the fact that if there are 4 or more persons shooting on one screen, the game becomes sluggish...i use openGL fer that

can i run LOTR series??? it requires 32MB memory(video)

Pathik

Google Bot
ur vram is 64mb wit 8mb shared wit ur system ram.. And the agp aperture settings wont matter 4 u as its already showing u full 64mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom