What do i do with my deceased laptop???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desperado

Broken In
alrighty!
i have an old dead HP laptop which conked off around 2 years ago. It conked off with a bang and after that never got its display back. after 2 yrs when switched on, several indicator lights lit up, but no display. Discussing this issue with several technicians has suggested an expense of 12,000/- which i think is a waste on a bulky laptop like this one.

I need to know if theres anyway i could transfer the data out of my dead laptop harddrive to my Desktop. Also, if i could transfer/use any hardware parts from the laptop (my eyes are on the graphics card ;-))).

what else can you guys suggest?

Can you please post the configuration of the laptop ? Which model is it ?

You could sell the RAM to somebody.

For Rs. 300, you can get a casing to make the laptop HDD as a portable pocket HDD and transfer stuff to your desktop and continue using the HDD as a pendrive.

And yeah, first see if the laptop works if you connect it to an external monitor.

OP
Desperado

Desperado

Broken In
i am in office right now. i will post the model as soon as i reach home. but yea, i have tried connecting it to my desktop monitor... NO display :(

is it still working?? .. i dont know man.

but your portable HDD idea is niiiiiice :)
thanks!

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
alrighty!
i have an old dead HP laptop which conked off around 2 years ago

hahahaha....HP laptop...throw it..or give it to some kids to play with...thats what thy r wrth...lolz...
chk ma thread (*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101402)...no display too...mobo prblm...waiting for a replacement since last 10-12days

else sell ur ram n all n make a portable HDD out of ur lappy HDD...google for tutorial...:grin:

OP
Desperado

Desperado

Broken In
:)
i am ready to throw it.

not unless i squeeze the life out of it. thanks for the tutorial advice.

alrighty
its a HP pavilion N5430.

Can i make use of its graphics card? inspite of the fact that theres no display? should the card be alright? is it possible?

Last edited:

mukundpathak

Broken In
hahahaha....HP laptop..........or give it to some kids to play with...thats what thy r wrth...lolz...

else sell ur ram n all n make a portable HDD out of ur lappy HDD...google for tutorial...:grin:

what games do you suggest kids can play with a bulky heavy and dead laptop ?

Portable HDD is a great idea.

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
what games do you suggest kids can play with a bulky heavy and dead laptop ?

well ma 2 year old nephew wud enjoy tapping his fingers on the keyboard and banging up n down the display...lolz

about graphic card...i think thats what the prblm is...ur graphic card cud b out of order...:-|

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Yup... mobo IGP problem as he is not getting the display on an external monitor too.... better go with the portable HDD idea and sprinkle some petrol on lappy and ignite it and laugh in an evil manner while seeing it burn \m/.

ZOMG! *pcworld.about.com/news/Nov162001id71723.htm
A mobile duron ? This looks like stuff an antique collector would buy gladly.
I doubt you can get much money from selling 128MB RAM.
And 20GB HDD ? Portable is best option.

Anyway, please ask your technicians what the display problem is. If somehow you are able to connect it to an external display (perhaps it may cost Rs. 200 or so to get it done if the task is simple enough) you can still use the laptop, perhaps as a headless server or seedbox for downloading work, after initial configuring through an external display.

OP
Desperado

Desperado

Broken In
alright . thanks people.

what about the dvd writer?
the batteries?
speakers?
fans? ;) haha... anything man just about anything i could get out of it.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
pull your laptop apart, look at every single part, see what goes where, then salvage parts.
if possible take photos or videos. you can learn a lot from this.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
add some brutal laptop dissection video on youtube with some manic costume and makeup. Will get hit instantly :D

Use Crowbar, Sledgehammer and then pixaxe as tools of trade. And makeup costume of Joker or perhaps Mr. Beans.

pull your laptop apart, look at every single part, see what goes where, then salvage parts.
if possible take photos or videos. you can learn a lot from this.
I can NEVER, EVER do this with my old i486E based TwinHead laptop, which was my first computer, and which has a similar problem, along with fungal infestation. Too much of an emotional attachment to my old carefree days playing Doom1, Aladdin and Lion King on DOS.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Wear some leather, put on corpse paint... take a sledgehammer, a handy cam. Destroy your lappy while recording the whole event and laugh in an evil manner. Up it on UTube... :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom