ipconfig /all

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

-------------------

what each command do ?

what happens after i write all ?

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
/all - Display full configuration information.
/release - Release the IP address for the specified adapter.
/renew - Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.

OP
A

assddd

Broken In
what do you mean by release ip and renew ip ?

after i write all three commands in the same order i wrote them, what happens?

anandk

Distinguished Member
^ *www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ipconfig.mspx?mfr=true

complete list here *www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds.mspx?mfr=true

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
The functions of those commands, desertwind has already told. I think you are confused about what is a IP address. This might help
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

OP
A

assddd

Broken In
if you know please just tell me what exactly each command do ?

i dont understand anything if you tell me it releases ip address from adapter (i dont even know what adapter is).

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
adapter here means your network card.

release will release the current ip address that is assigned to your card by dhcp.

renew will get you a new ip address from dhcp.

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
Bole to

If u r ISP has provided u dynamic IP address and u want to download from sites like rapidshare then after each download u can use these commands to generate a new ip for ur system

So no more waiting time

sivarap

In the zone
ax3 said:
shortcut : it JUST renews ur IP address ..........

now dont keep on asking "whots IP address ?"

hey don't be mean to the kid ;)

Listen up kid......

Your Ethernet card has a MACaddress and a IP address...You can do nothing to the MAC address it is fixed....so forget mac address.....

To communicate to another machine on the network connected via the Ethernet card You need an IP address...

Now...the IP address can be dynamic(ie can be given by your server or router) or it can be static(You mention it as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx).

When you say it should be dynamic, You can use the commands listed by the great you.

when you give the release command, you(computer/ethernet card) tell the router/server "I don't require the IP given by you anymore, you can give it to someone else"

When you give the renew command, you tell the router/server "I want to keep the address for some more time"(since it might expire after sometime) or "Give me another IP address since mine is gonna expire".........

Got it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom