What are the functions of all these 4 AVG services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys!
In my system I hv AVG antivirus installed.
And there r 4 services running for it:

avgamsvr.exe
avgcc.exe
avgemc.exe
avgupsvc.exe

In which 2 services r listed in Services list in Computer management of Administrative Tools: avgamsvr.exe and avgupsvc.exe.

And rest 2 services hv their entries in Registry HKLM\Softwares\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

What I want to know is all these 4 services r essential to run?
Or can i disable ne of them?

Can ne1 pls tell me all these 4 services functions?

thnx... :)

swatkat

Technomancer
Hi,
avgamsvr.exe --> AVG Auto Monitor Service, the background scanner. This runs as a Service and is essential.

avgcc.exe --> AVG Control Center, this is the core AVG component through which all other features/settings are controlled.

avgemc.exe --> AVG E-Mail Cleaner, scans incoming and outgoing email (POP and IMAP).

avgupsvc.exe --> AVG Update Serice, essential for the Auto Update process.

Actually, all these serives/processes are essential and should not be stopped.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
thnx for ur reply :wink:

It means I can disable avgemc.exe service if not interested in Security for E-mails?
And I always manually update the definitions for AVG, so can I also disable avgupsvc.exe service?

swatkat

Technomancer
Hmm...you can try disabling the E-Mail scanner service, i havent tried it though.
And about the Update Service, even if you update manually, the task of downloading and installing update files is carried out the avgupsvc.exe service, so its better to leave it like that.
Or you can set this service as "Manual" in Services.msc. By this way, it starts only when you run an AVG component.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom