Western devs "working harder," taking more risks - Mikami

heidi2521

Padawan
Western devs "working harder," taking more risks - Mikami | GamesIndustry International

The only part I agree with would be about Japanese devs needing to be more open to western tech.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I agree with most of his saying. He's completely right about western developers working hard and their more advanced tech. Games like Skyrim, witcher, the last of us, GTA etc are proof of those statements made by Mikami. Except a few Jap devs like Hideo Kojima, Fumito Ueda, Hideki Kamiya,Katsuhiro Harada,Tetsuya Nomura and Mikami himself, all others still follow older standards of game development and refrain from taking risks. They should be aware that the audience has changed big time.

His comments about graphics engines were spot on. The devs mentioned above, somehow or the other have embraced western tech ( Even though Kojima uses their own engine, its still inspired by western devs). Its evident on the fact that how devs like Kojima and even Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto were so interested in Ubisoft's "The Division" and were mesmerized by the advanced and innovative gameplay, not to forget the power of its "SnowDrop" engine. Jap devs should come out of that kiddish color pallette era and use their amazing innovative ideas in tandem with cutting edge technology, to develop richer and immersive content.

Mikami again laid emphasis on the graphics part by saying that a horror game really needs that cutting edge look in order to look and feel scary. There are others developers following this same philosophy.Zombie studios (Atlus as publisher) new game Daylight is of survival horror genre that uses the all new Unreal Engine 4. This really adds a lot to the immersive factor. Games like Amnesia will be a lot scarier if they'll have more immersive factor, that can be achieved by greater graphical fidelity.

All i can say is Mikami san is spot on with his comments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom