weird xp error

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit

Broken In
I am facing a weird problem.Everytime I start my pc I get an error saying that the administrator password provided is incorrect & the pc restarts. But I have not set any password on my pc. I tried doing a repair install of xp but to no avail. Cld this be bcoz of a virus?

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
try changing the password
u 'll need to waste a CD over it ( or use a rewritable CD )
*home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

-----
alibi

OP
G

gambit

Broken In
Let me give u the complete picture.
I had installed xp on my c: drive. Now one day when I was on my comp, it for some unknown reason stopped responding. I then rebooted my comp & got an error message –“ the file windows/system32/config/SYSTEM “ is corrupt, please do a repair install of xp.
I did do a repair install of xp but to no avail. I tried doing a chkdsk through the windows recovery console but whenever I select the recovery console option when rebooting it asks for an administrator password. But I have not set any administrator password. So what I did was I formatted my d: drive & did a fresh install of xp on it. I then checked my c: drive & found the files in the Documents and Settings folder to be unreadable.
What I did then was I replaced the file system in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\config folder with another file called ‘system’ which was located in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Original folder. Now when I try to restart my pc using the old xp installation on my c: drive, after the initial boot screen, the screen goes totally blank. I had some very important word files on my desktop on my c: drive. I would be very grateful to anyone who would help to get them back.
[/img]

bravefart

Broken In
Hey mate;

Pretty mess you in it seems; so I hope you didnt format the disk with your Imp. documents if you did that then you would need a good Data recovery software . If luckily you didnt do that copy your imp.files in a removable disk and try it in a some other good system. If that system doesnt recognize your files still; try renaming the files with .doc or whatever the original format files were in . If even that doesnt work try Using HexEditor(If you have used one or know how to use it) . Hopefully that should solve the document problem.
Your system/OS requires troubleshooting which could be time consuming cause their are so many possibilities.
Do tell how you fared.
PeaceV

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
hmmm ..
that seems to be a f00ked up situation ..

actually u did the right thing ..
replacing the files is the right thing to do
but u did it from the wrong folder ...
u shud have copied the file from windows\repair folder
look here
do that and tell if it works ...

or else ...
best option is .. get any linux CD
and get access to all the files on disk ..
copy the files to other location and then u can format the c-drive
this is also an option

-----
alibi

There is one more possibility

Well mate.. Indeed a lot has been messed up.. But there is one more possibility.. But there are some pre-requisites to it.. First u should b using windows xp without any service pack installed, u should be using the PIRATED copy of windows XP (here's when software piracy will come 2 rescue), and u should have the windows 2000 professional bootable cd. If u meet all these requirements, then follow these steps.. Boot from the win2k disk into the recovery console. It will take u directly into the admin account WITHOUT ASKING FOR ANY PASSWORD (yes.. Its true)... Once in, you'll be able to access all ur drives.. Just take a backup of all ur documents on both ur drives, then format both drives and reinstall xp. Do tell me if this works.. Cheers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom