Weird problem, any idea?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well suddenly today my Monitor went in Power saving mode! (in XP) I waited about 2 minutes, then the System got restarted. I was just surfing at that time. This is a 2 weeks old PC (see my siggy), and it's a irritating and definitely weird problem. I had this same problem with my old rig, I thought it could be my C.M PSU but I was wrong. The only things I carried forward from my old rig is my Seagate HDD, XFX 9800GT and Creative sound card. Now I don't think a Sound card will create this. So the GPU and the HDD is left in the doubt list. Also, could that my Monitor? If it's the Monitor then why the Restart?
It's so frustrating, please give your opinions, what the problem might be.

Thanks in advance.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Guess it is the GPU. Since the relay signals fails to the monitor it turns off.
Thanks. May I know why the restart? The relay signal fails and the Monitor goes off, it's okay, but the Restart is awkward.
So is it time to get rid of it? What would you advice?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
The restart happens, cause the board will self reboot when it detects no VGA signal.

Test the GPU elsewhere.

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
^^
The restart happens, cause the board will self reboot when it detects no VGA signal.

Test the GPU elsewhere.

so u mean to say that when there's no VGA signal that means no monitor connected the PC reboots or when there's no VGA signal from board then system reboots

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
I meant what I said. The board detects that there is no display signal -- or it has disappeared mid-way and re-boots to reset the accelerator.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Oh guys that problem wasn't there for a week and it came back again today. So frustrating...even my MoBo doesn't have any built in VGA so that I can test the GPU elsewhere and still work in my PC without the GPU.
Oh the problem is changed a bit, the Monitor does go to Power Saving mode but the system ain't restarting anymore.
I am totally shocked, absolutely idea less what to do. !!!!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Actually was not correcting you. I posted same time as you. the "^^" was for itheHappy, but your post came in between.
:)

abhidev

Human Spambot
^^
I meant what I said. The board detects that there is no display signal -- or it has disappeared mid-way and re-boots to reset the accelerator.

Is that the way it really works...coz sometimes when my pc is running I disconnect my monitor so that i can watch movies on it by connecting the laptop...but my pc is kept running and it doesn't restart.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Is that the way it really works...coz sometimes when my pc is running I disconnect my monitor so that i can watch movies on it by connecting the laptop...but my pc is kept running and it doesn't restart.

But here in his case the monitor is not disconnected and still no video signal, in that case it obviously restart. Correct me guys if i am wrong. Because i face these kinda issue when my 4670 troubled me a year ago. :D

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

No. What I meant is that if the board detects no video signal being generated (read VGA is not functioning) at times the system will reboot. It is the VGA right which is creating the video out signals, IF those are failing then the board can go into restart loops.

The OP has to try another VGA or try his VGA on another functional motherboard/system.

abhidev

Human Spambot
No. What I meant is that if the board detects no video signal being generated (read VGA is not functioning) at times the system will reboot. It is the VGA right which is creating the video out signals, IF those are failing then the board can go into restart loops.

The OP has to try another VGA or try his VGA on another functional motherboard/system.

But when the monitor is not connected...then there will be no vga signal generated anyways right?? Correct me if I am wrong?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
The Monitor is just a Plug&Play Device system will boot even if u don't connect any monitor..but the problem will be what u will see..nothin.... :)......

& the inside cabby parts r dependent upon each other...if there is a problem is any part...the system will stop.....

abhidev

Human Spambot
^^
Signals would still be generated. The monitor is just a down-stream device.
Thanx for the explanation...maybe thats the reason why coz of my GPU my monitor takes a little time to start as all the parts are running...only the monitor takes some time.

Top Bottom