Weird CPU Utilization problem after changing my processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Hi guys
Yesterday night, i just removed my old P4 proccy and fix the new E6600 in my Mobo. I apply thermal grease (not evenly) and firmly fixed the CPU Fan. Finally i restarted my PC and everything went normal. But after booting into windows, it started to behave weird. Say some programs refuses to work and gimme an error saying that "Windows Runtime Error".*www.techenclave.com/images/smilies/mad44.gif

And some programs not working w/o even giving any error msgs.. So i want to quit these programs thru Task Manager, and shocked to see that the CPU Utilization is 100%, even though there is no program running. It always shows 100% and i am unable to work with it.*www.techenclave.com/images/smilies/sign42.gif

I suspect may be the unevenly applied thermal grease or CPU Fan might be a problem. Is it so? If not then please let me whats the problem is...

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
You need to give a complete specs dude. But I am getting a pretty bad feeling that you are using it on an obsolete mobo. Not possible to TB only with this info. Remove CMOS battery for 45 minutes and give it a try again. If that doesn't work, try updating the BIOS as well.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
My mobo is ASUS P5N-MX and i update the BIOS to latest version too..
Using Transcend 2GB DDR2 667MHz and a WD320GB AAKS HDD..
I removed the CMOS battery and then restart the PC, but after that too, it doesnt seem to solved.
Will a OS re-install solve the issue?
Or i will try to apply thermal-paste again?

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I said to remove the cmos battery for 45 minutes and give it a try again- as in to put the battery back in after 45 mins and start the system.
First- google for orthos and download it. Also download real temp. Run both of them together and run orthos blend test for 2-3 hours. If the systems restarts, gives BSODs, shuts down or if orthos gives an error- something is wrong. Before you do this though, be absolutely sure that the heatsink is attached properly. I assume you applied using the pea method to put the thermal paste.
Try using the last known good configuration or repairing the OS via recovery console. If you are comfy with reinstalling everything then that's you call but it should solve the issue.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^
Downloading orthos or real temp wont help me as no program is running. I finally ended up by quitting those tasks via Task Manager.
Anyhow will give a try with CMOS battery suggestions, even though i already did it.
And finally re-installing the OS wont cause much problem as i dont have any s/w installed in XP and Vista except VLC to watch movies.....

Gowt1ham

Gowt1ham
The most likely problem is FSB mismatch between proccy and motherboard.

The proccy FSB i think is more than the supported FSB of the motherboard.
Put cpu id screenshot if issue dosent get resolved:wink:

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
In that case save the time and do a clean install.

The problem is with HDD Connector... The pins in HDD Power Connectors were loosely fitted and so it gives such problem..After changing the wire now its fine..

drivers for the processors are different

:confused:

The most likely problem is FSB mismatch between proccy and motherboard.

The proccy FSB i think is more than the supported FSB of the motherboard.
Put cpu id screenshot if issue dosent get resolved:wink:

Nope, the FSB of proccy is 1066MHz and the maximum FSB supported by my Mobo is 1333MHz..(Yup, i updated the BIOS to newer version:-D)

But guys the temp looks high for me... The temp is 48-50C when idle and goes upto 74C under load.... I think its not normal..So tell me what to do..

Please have a look at the picture..(Unable to post thumbnail...)

*img19.imageshack.us/img19/3269/cpustabilitytest.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom