God of Mistakes...
I think it is the service which is used to process VOICE TAGS

plz, correct me if I'm wrong!

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Voice Tags??? Uh.. I don't think so

Look here
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_to_talk

I think there are some JAVA applications which can enable PTT in SE phones. I am not sure though.
PTT comes preenabled in Nokia Phones.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
PTT is something like a group of Walkie Talkie owners talking together. You listen all the time and when you wish to relay a message to the group of PTT you're under, you push the button and talk and release it. It uses GPRS and is thus cheaper than conference calls. I don't think this service exists in India however.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Oh okay, just realized Hutch was the first in bringing it again. Airtel still hasn't got it I guess. Anyway, the demand for it isn't so high, but its a cool feature to use between a large circle of friends if you wish to use a particular period of time everyday to talk together.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
its something like conference call, when one person speaks the other people who are connected using this service can hear him. but not sure about the restrictions on range.

shaunak

Tux Fan
A Push to talk enebled phone will consist of a external soft key which when pressed will activate a direct [one way] line to all those you have configured your PTT key to work with. eg. your work group.
Exactly like a walkie talkie.
Or rather a PA system if only you phone has PTT. :p

Of course you will have to activate the service with your network provider

Its gr8 if:
a> you have a large work group to whom you need instant connectivity
b> you are a security guard
c> you wanna play agent 000

for b and c, its much cheaper to buy and operate a real walkie talkie.

Advantage of PTT over walkie talkie:
a> long, very long [network wide] range
b> kids with an extended range fm reciever cant eavesdrop. [FYI: AAI {airport authorities india} [mumbai] is roughly 150MHZ ;)]

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
No it has none restriction whatsoever, all on a grouped GPRS network can talk. I don't know if it exists between multiple services or not. Airtel doesn't have this feature yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom