Watching 1080p movie in 16.9 Aspect Ratio

amjath

Human Spambot
Hi guys,

I always wanted to watch my very favorite Hollywood Movies in 1080p in 16.9 Aspect ratio. I don't want to pirate my favorite collection instead want to own them in Blu ray DVD's. But few questions in my mind which I want you people to answer me especially who owned Blu Ray's.

I downloaded one of my favourite video song from Youtube and it is the way I wanted it to be

*i.imgur.com/UcCB7uz.jpg

^ that screenshot is from Bad meets Evil - Fast Lane. It is a 1080p video in Default Aspect Ratio

Here is a info of this video song

Code:
General
Complete name                    : C:\Users\Amjath\Desktop\Bad Meets Evil - Fast Lane ft. Eminem, Royce Da 5_9-1.mp4
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                         : mp42
File size                        : 169 MiB
Duration                         : 4mn 9s
Overall bit rate                 : 5 708 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-06-07 15:35:16
Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-06-07 15:35:16
gsst                             : 0
gstd                             : 249026
gssd                             : B4A7DA984HH1360992709432690
gshh                             : r15---sn-h557sn7r.c.youtube.com

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 1 frame
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                         : 4mn 9s
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 5 550 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 10.6 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate mode                  : Variable
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Minimum frame rate               : 17.241 fps
Maximum frame rate               : 24.390 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.112
Stream size                      : 165 MiB (97%)
Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-06-07 15:35:18

I watched few 1080p movies but it has got black bars on top of them. Anyone please confirm if I buy blu-ray DVD'swill I get black bars on top and bottom. Thanks in advance

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
^ Oops I'm sorry bro, My PC is hooked to Sony Bravia 46inch TV supporting 1920*1080p all the time. This question raised in my mind cause i'm planning for HT setup soon

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
^ bro did u check the screenshot . that video song works perfect. My concern is the content not settings. Settings are correct/good

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
The black bars are there when you watch a movie because it was shot in that ratio which is generally 2.35:1/2.39:1 , that ratio fits the screen in the theaters well . If you want to watch movies in VLC Player just press "a" until it fits the picture to your screen but I warn you the picture will be stretched . Now, there are quite a few movies which have started coming in bluray in 16:9 ratio namely Avatar , Avengers . If a film has scenes that is shot in IMAX Cameras that too has a ratio of 16:9 like in The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises . So, see the Aspect ratio of the blu-ray of the movie before buying if you want it fit your screen in 16:9 ratio.

As you said you watched many movies but it had black bars that would have been because its resolution would have been 1920x800 and that is 2.39:1 aspect ratio , there is nothing other than altering the ratio in VLC that you can do about it.

For more info see this : *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_%28image%29

Here is a list of movies which have 16:9 / 1.85:1 / 1.78:1 (both of them are very close to fitting a 16:9 screen and very small black bars are visible):*forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=9502

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
simple explanation of @rajatGod512 reply above:
16:9 resolution--->monitor,lcd/led/plasma HD tv etc
2:35:1 resolution--->normal/usual cinema screen
99% movies are shot for normal/usual cinema screen hence there will always be black bar above & below when watching dvd/blu-ray on 16:9 monitor/tv.

btw even dark knight rises was not fully IMAX in blu-ray.it has a mixed resolution where certain action sequences are in 16:9 ratio while rest of the parts are in usual 2.35:1 ratio having black bar above & below.

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
^ thank you so much for the help.

@Rajat: I just checked that forum and couldn't find transformers. So i hit Amazon and checked
Amazon.com: Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo): Shia LaBeouf, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Tyrese Gibson, Josh Duhamel, John Turturro, Patrick Dempsey, Frances McDormand, John Malkovich, Kevin Dunn, Julie White, Alan Tudyk, Ken
it says 2.35:1. thats a big disappointment for me.

So there is no way that I can watch it in 16.9 with stretching [press "a" in VLC to change aspect ratio]

^ the question is raised because of one reason
I watched Gladiator in some HD channel and there was no black bars, but check the resolution of its blu ray available in Amazon
Amazon.com: Gladiator [Blu-ray]: Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, Connie Nielsen, Oliver Reed, Djimon Hounsou, Richard Harris, Derek Jacobi, Ridley Scott: Movies & TV

How is that possible for Channels to play 2.35:1 in 16.9

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
channels use special hardware(costing lakhs of rupees at least) to convert 2.35:1 ratio to 16:9 without significant stretching/quality loss but it is still cropped/converted version.

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
So there is no way or workaround is it?
Cause see zee and star gold both HD channels plays all hindi movies with black borders which is very annoying

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Most blu-ray movies have a widescreen aspect ratio that will fill the entire screen of 16:9 HD TV. But some movies like LOTR, Hobbit etc. have black bars even if the movie is in 1080p. You can use player settings to stretch the movie to fill the entire screen, but that will distort the image. Full screen videos in HD channels are distorted (stretched) in most case. I prefer to watch movies in its original aspect ratio. Black bars are not a deterrent once you get accustomed to.

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
Thank you guys for all ur replies. So its clear that I have to check for aspect ratio before buying DVDs and also I have live with those black bars for few movies :)

Top Bottom