Want suggestions for 1TB External HDD purchase

Shashwat

Broken In
Friends I want to purchase an external HDD of 1 TB. I have read some eariler posts on the same, but I want suggestions on some more informations.
1. Wchich one is the best WD/Seagate/Adata
2. I am confused between USB 3.0 & USB 2.0, actually I have never used any USB 3 device, so I want to know whether these HDD with USB 3.0 will work with my system or not as my system has only USB 2.0 ports.
3. Can I make partitions in the HDD? If yes how? Suggest me the list of softwares by which I can do the same..
4. Can I lock the HDD with any software? Suggest the names also. And one thing if I can manage to lock the drive through any software from my system can anyone use it or see the contents who will not have the same software on his system?? Will the HDD or any partition will be locked for everyone?
5. Can I install and use an OS from the HDD?? Suppose I install an OS in it how can I boot from it??
6. Is there covers available for External HDD in market?
7. The most impotant, should I purchase if from local market or from flipkart/snapdeal?? What is warranty coverage of products purchased from online shoping sites,how they work??

Please friends suggest me your valuable opinions..

Ironman

In the zone
Do you want Portable (Without Power) or External (With Power)
1.Besides WD , Seagate , ADATA

these companies also make ... Dell , Sony , Transcend etc

are any of your usb ports coloured blue ?
No - (you dont have usb 3.0 in your system)
Yes - (you have usb 3.0 in your system)

3.As far as i know
No - in windows
Yes in Linux

4.Some have those features , look for it before buying
Please ask others here for a list (i cant give one)

5.Fat Chance ........... I dont think so (Never tried it)

6.never had that question ........... skipping

7.whichever has least price

warranty relation is with the Manufacturer not the retailer (makes no difference if you purchase online or local)

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
1. Checkout all options all are good (I use 2 WD drives btw)

2. If u have blue USB ports on your system then its USB3.0 otherwise its white for USB2.0
USB3.0 supports high speed data transfers around 100mb/sec or more while usb2.0 max 30mb/sec.
If not compatible buy a USB3.0 Expansion card or stick with USB2.0

3. Yes its possible to make partitions on external HDDs. Use Windows built in partition manager or any other good one such EaseUS Partitions.

4. Not sure about compatibility with other systems but my WD drive has the WD Security app for locking the drive.

5. Not tried but yes it may be supported. Google it

6. Yes they are. Try checking the rugged ones to protect your drive from shocks and spills.

7.Price matters. Check lowest price or good offers

Warranty works with both Online/Offline purchases.(Just keep ur bill safe)

I recently purchased WD My Passport 1TB from Flipkart and it works great

OP
S

Shashwat

Broken In
Thanks dude.. My system has usb 2.0 ports. Actualy I wanted to know that if I can use the HDD which have usb 3.0 ports ir not. I have decided to go for the WD My passport 1TB. Can you please attach the link of flpikart you have purchased??

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
Yes USB3.0 is backwards compatible with USB2.0

So u have any one these ports plug it in and enjoy.. :)

In simple words it is compatible dont worry
I use the same drive with USB2.0

Flipkart link : WD My Passport 1 TB External Hard Disk - WD: Flipkart.com for 4500/- great deal

Top Bottom