Want A New System For 40000 INR

coolguythampy

Broken In
Hello everyone,

I am about to purchase a new PC. Had one which cost 77K which I bought last year June. however it had lot of non issues and ended up selling it for 25K. I dont want to repeat my mistake. I have very basic requirements here. Please help me out with compatible products

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: Web Browsing, Word Processing, Watching DVD movies

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 40000 Rupees

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Never

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Ubuntu 10.10

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A: Not sure. Flexible in getting screens from 18.5" to 22"

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10?highest)
A: 7

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Assembler. I have seena system assembled

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: january 2011

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: No. I am looking for a system to last me for 2-3 years and then I will go for a MAC Pro

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: I am not looking for sound cards

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:Trivandrum, kerala. Like to purchase locally if possible or online

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:
  1. I am not going to play any games. I have a PS3 for that.
  2. I need UPS also within this budget
  3. I need speakers and everything with this. I am not a music buff too. So no need of any high ualoty speakers, but it must be good to watch DVD movies

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
AMD Athlon II x4 635 @ 5k
MSI 880GMA E45 @ 5.5k
G.Skill 2 * 2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 4.6k
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB @ 3k
LG 22X SATA DVD @ 0.9k
FSP Saga II 500W @ 2.2k
CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k
Benq G2220HD 22" LCD @ 7.3k
Logitech K&B @ 0.6k
Altec Lansing VS-2421 @ 2.4k
APC 650VA @ 3k

Total - 36k

this is more than enough for your needs.

OP
C

coolguythampy

Broken In
Hello,

Thanks for your help.

How much more will I need to invest if I am to go for a full HD monitor and a graphic card that can run HD DVD movies smoothly?

Also about the 1TB HDD, I have heard that failure rate is more. So I am planning to go with a 500GB now... How much will a hybrid HDD cost?(Normall HDD+ SSD). Plus, I am not a huge fan of seagate. They have given me big problems in teh past. Any other reliable companies like WD?

Another question. Do you think I need a motherboard that costs 5.5k?

Update: Just came to know Benq G2220HD 22" LCD is full HD but lacks HDMI. It does support DVI. So is it better? How much will a DVI cable cost? I havent had Benq mintors, only samsung till now. Is it good quality? The reviews say that colors are not very good.

Also is the sugegsted motherboard a mATX board?

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
the monitor i mentioned is a full HD 22". if you want 24" have a look at Benq G2420HD @ 11k or so. you dont need a discrete gfx card to watch movies on a 22" monitor. its needed for gaming.
you can look at WD 500GB Blue @ 1.8k. combine 2 of these to get a 1TB. dont know about costs of SSD but you wont need those.
that mobo is a feature rich having usb3 and sata3 also. and is well within your budget.

Benq is very nice. many of the forum members are using this one and they say its great.
yes its and mATX mobo.

Last edited:
OP
C

coolguythampy

Broken In
G2420HD and G2220HD has a huge diff in pricing? (Almost 4k). Anyway I think that will be abetter choice sicne I will be looking for watching movies frequently.

yes its and mATX mobo.
Should I stick on with mATX? Wont it be crammed?

you can look at WD 500GB Blue @ 1.8k.
I want a reliable one. Storage space does not matter much. I hardly store anything. Even my 120GB laptop has 70% free space.

you dont need a discrete gfx card to watch movies on a 22" monitor. its needed for gaming.

I used to have a xfx 8800gt alpha dog edition card in my previous system. Even then the HD movie transformers I played sometimes got stuck. That is why I asked.

Cilus

laborare est orare
A 8800GT is more than enough to play a full HD movie. For running this you need software players which support GPU acceleration. Use Media Player Classic Home Cinema or SMPlayer. These players support GPU acceleration and will run Full HD movies without a glitch.
And for GPU, you can get Sapphire HD4670 512MB GDDR3 Artic Accelero @ 3.9k. More than enough to fulfill your need.

OP
C

coolguythampy

Broken In
Use Media Player Classic Home Cinema or SMPlayer.
Are they available for UBUNTU? What about VLC Media Player?

So the final config would be

AMD Athlon II x4 635 @ 5k
MSI 880GMA E45 @ 5.5k
G.Skill 2 * 2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 4.6k
WD 500GB Blue @ 1.8k
LG 22X SATA DVD @ 0.9k
FSP Saga II 500W @ 2.2k
CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k
Benq G2420HD 24" LCD @ 11k
Logitech K&B @ 0.6k
Altec Lansing VS-2421 @ 2.4k
APC 650VA @ 3k
Sapphire HD4670 512MB GDDR3 Artic Accelero @ 3.9k
Total: 42.4K

Any additions or modifications? Do I need to downsize something or upgrade something sicne my main intention will be to watch HD movies?

Also could someone give me an INTEL counterpart? Does AMD give out much heat?

I would like to add one more question.

Do you think UBUNTU will not have any problems recognizing drivers for the components mentioned here?

Last edited:

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
^^ the config is perfect ,just buy it

AMD heating is an old myth. AMD works just fine.

Ubuntu will have no issues recognizing these components

OP
C

coolguythampy

Broken In
^^ the config is perfect ,just buy it

AMD heating is an old myth. AMD works just fine.

Ubuntu will have no issues recognizing these components

Intel i3 530
Gigabyte H55M-USB3
G.Skill 2 * 2GB DDR3 1333MHz
WD 500GB Black
LG 22X SATA DVD
Seasonic s12 380w/Corsair cx400
CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k
Benq G2420HD 24" LCD
Logitech K&B
Altec Lansing VS-2421
APC 650VA

What do you think of the above configuration?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Athlon II X4 635's 4 physical cores are better than Core i3-530's 2 hyper-threaded cores. I think this.

OP
C

coolguythampy

Broken In
Athlon II X4 635's 4 physical cores are better than Core i3-530's 2 hyper-threaded cores. I think this.

What about HD movie performance? Which is better? I am not into multi tasking. So, All I care about is smooth playback of HD movies

Cilus

laborare est orare
What about HD movie performance? Which is better? I am not into multi tasking. So, All I care about is smooth playback of HD movies
Playing movie is a multimedia applications and highly multi threaded application. So more the number of cores, smoother performance you get. Athlon II 635 is better option here.

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
^^Intel provides better performance while AMD gives you more VFM products...In this case i wud suggest to go for the athlon 635 as it delivers slightly better performance(mostly) in all aspects...though both of them are good see what will be your total cost of CPU and MOBO and then decide..

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
^^ People here suggest AMD all the time because they are cheap as compared to similar offerings from intel...On performance level Intel is ahead but people don't want to pay double of the amount for products which keep changing every year...
Those looking for 1 time buy should go with intel..but for the rest of us AMD suits better...

i don't know why all support amd.
just see
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

and the benchmark has inconclusive results as i3 is better in some tests and the athlon in the others...But 635 is definitely better as it has 4 physical cores compared to 2 physical.....

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
i don't know why all support amd.
just see
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

in the bench you mentioned just look at the cinebench R10 multithreaded benchmark. hope you got the reason..

not all are favourable to i3. notice that in some benchmarks lower is better is also written. 635 excels in multithreading while i3 in single threaded. so to keep the rigs more futureproof we suggest 635 instead of i3.

^^ People here suggest AMD all the time because they are cheap as compared to similar offerings from intel...On performance level Intel is ahead but people don't want to pay double of the amount for products which keep changing every year...
Those looking for 1 time buy should go with intel..but for the rest of us AMD suits better...

and the benchmark has inconclusive results as i3 is better in some tests and the athlon in the others...But 635 is definitely better as it has 4 physical cores compared to 2 physical.....

there is nothing like you mentioned. just see the multithreaded benchmarks and 635 is ahead..amd will also change socket with launch of bulldozer..

Last edited:

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
By "Products that change every year" i was reffering to the general computer parts not amd or intel specifically..and yes in some benchmarks other than those which needs multithreading i3 is ahead..
But as i've said earlier athlon 635 is better than i3..

And if your compare equivalent models of amd and intel u will find intel is better..eg. I5 760 and athlon 635 or phenom 955..

Cilus

laborare est orare
Don't put generic statement like "Intel is better in performance while AMD offers value for money". These kind of statements are too much generalized and creates confusion. While choosing the right processor for a given budget, we have to see at this price point which processor will offer better performance, no matter whether it is AMD or Intel. We have to compare by an specific Intel CPU and an AMD CPU in the same price range.
A given example is at the price range within 6-7K, Intel's offering is Core2Quad 8300 and AMD's offering is Athlon II 640. Now Athlon II 640 is better performer and also having less price, so we will suggest that.

Our suggestion should be like that, not "Intel is better" type of thing.

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
Exactly my point..its confusing for me too..but i wrote this in response to saikat1990's query..

I'll be more clear in my future suggestions..thanx..

Last edited:
Top Bottom