Want a cool distro for multimedia use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

╬Switch╬

In the zone
Guys can anyone suggest me a good distro with lots of eyecandy and something that will also play me my DVDs and my music.
(Actually all I need is to play my media files and some browsing. The eyecandy is to so my Win loving friends the coolness of Linux.)
Thanks!!

wilderness

Broken In
Sadly this is where it becomes a bit complicated.

Fedora has eye-candy. Check out Fedora 6. Its cool. But no inbuilt mp3 support, media players etc.

OpenSuse has less eyecandy, but has inbuilt mp3 support and quite a few players inbuilt.

Havent seen or tried ubuntu, but as per reviews its one of the best distros out there now.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Linux Mint aient too good in my opinion. Ubuntu is the best option - h\its not ready made. Linux dosent come ready made , you have to tailor it to your needs. Try slackware distros , Slax is one such but its only live.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
most distros can play dvds using mplayer.but when it comes with css,u need to install libdvdcss & co from videolan.org.
multimedia distro? earlier there was agnula/demudi now list of mm distros:

*linuxsound.atnet.at/distro.html

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
wait few days(just a week) and there will be Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04. It is aimed at multimedia and eyecandy.

T

titun

Can I suggest Ubuntu Edgy+VLC player ? It even plays .3gp, .flv files, leave apart avi, wmv, mp3s.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
tech_your_future said:
Sabayon DVD will give you that or maybe even PCLinuxOS has multimedia out of the box.
Yes I totally agree...if you are looking for "Cool" looking distro(s) without any sweat "right out of the box"...both Sabayon and PCLinuxOS are equally good.

Josan

Gangsta
sabayon is the best option ,best pakage in any distro
it has got a large no of option for multimedia ,internet ,and other tools

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I heard feisty is going to carry compiz out of the box so that's good. There will surely be improvements on the multimedia front but will it contain proprietory codecs out of the box? I had seen, I guess, herd 3 of feisty it didn't have mp3 installed by default but when I tried to play mp3 in amarok it just gave me a point and click way to install required codecs.

And I think sabayon is more bleeding edge than ubuntu. Advantages of that are the changes to see uptodate technology but it means more bugs too.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Feisty wont have codecs out of the box, but it will offer the user to download (just one click) the codec once the user attempts to play some file (be it audio or video).

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
The best for multimedia, Sabayon, coz it ships with VLC player
For cool looks, try Dreamlinux, it looks like a Mac OS X

But mine favourite is SUSE, loads of eyecandy, it is very powerful, will automatically mount your Windows partitions, low on system resources and you can enable and disable 3D with a click of a button.

But it doesn't have full multimedia support, but if you can connect it to Internet then you can download the necessary libraries and pacakages from the net. Try downloading VLC player

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Sorry for offtopic question: How to connect net in sabayon Linux.
I use sudo pppoeconf in ubuntu but it dont work in sabayon. what to do ???

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
^^I setup my connnection using "sudo pppoeconf" command in ubuntu. i have BSNL UL Plan. I set my connection to start at boot time.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Have you configured sudo in sabayon to let the user be able to use it?
See *www.gentoo-wiki.org/Sudo_config

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom