Waiting for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS !!

just tried UE- looks and effects are awesome..........

however just tried to check the programming- g++ hello.cpp hello / g++ hello hello.cpp - I tried both ways it says no so hello file--- whats missing?

and it did not play mp3.............

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
/off topic- please tell me of a distro which is full fledged, has all development tools, audio-video codecs, and stable- almost everything should work out of box.........a friend of mine needs it- I would also like to use it.
SuSE Studio to create a custom build?

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

`^^cos codecs r not open source
Says who?
Codecs may very well be open source. However problems may arise due to patents and such stuff. :|
Moreover audio codecs like FLAC, Vorbis and video like Theora, VP8 are not only OSS but also free to implement and require no royalties.

rkneo11

Broken In
same here... i tried it running on my HP HDX system and found it to to be a bit slower than the older version

SuSE Studio to create a custom build?

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Says who?
Codecs may very well be open source. However problems may arise due to patents and such stuff. :|
Moreover audio codecs like FLAC, Vorbis and video like Theora, VP8 are not only OSS but also free to implement and require no royalties.
is there codes package in the repository, as I was not able to locate, and would build next distro once 11.3 is released, can we install it or only use it as a live distro?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
is there codes package in the repository, as I was not able to locate, and would build next distro once 11.3 is released, can we install it or only use it as a live distro?
I think you need to add Packman or one such repos for codecs (gstreamer et al). And yes it can be bundled as a live distro and also can be used to install.

din

Tribal Boy
Alright, tried to install 10.04 in my Thinkpad R50e (i855GM graphics) and the 'Blank Screen' appears. No surprise, as I see many threads and solutions listed in Ububtuforums.

I guess there no simple solution (I mean a non-techie way) for this right?

So try 9.10 till it is fixed?

socrates

In the zone
I don't blame you.. now a days, even geeky peoples are confusing with Linux with Ubuntu..
This time the developers did a fantastic job even my normally ubuntu hating compaq laptop is shining with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS without any glitch.. perhaps you may give your hardware specification so othr help you.. yours may be bad burn problems

Which Compaq lappy do you have, my bro has a Compaaq v6608AU laptop,I was interested in trying it out on it.[ubuntu] Does Ubuntu 10.04 work successfully on Compaq Presario V6608AU? - Ubuntu Forums & I tried to burn my Ubuntu 10.04 LiveCD but could not even do that *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/open-source-software/129069-cant-create-live-cd-iso-digit-dvd.html :(

din

Tribal Boy
Alright, google is our friend!

Got this link - Live-CD of Ubuntu 10.04 with updated Intel-drivers and 855gm-patched kernel-modules Glasens Blog Downloading the CD now, hope it solve the intel driver issue. I will keep you updated.

din

Tribal Boy
Downloaded but no luck, some Glib error this time :(

Seems it is better to stick with 9.10 version for me :(

OP
V

vaithy

In the zone
Hi socrates!

Mine is Compaaq v3425AU with Nvidia6100GO card, Prior to 10.04 not a single version of Ubuntu can be installed in this laptop straight away. upon booting it willways spit fire as well as blank white screen appear and no end to it till the power buttons pressed for off. Even for Mint same treatment.. So I have to manually add VGA=788 or VGA=798 depending upon screen size.. but all of these nightmare now vanish in 10.04 and booting is faster in seconds.. I have disable the session remembering services and others so the Desktop appear very quicker.. Now I am experimenting with pepermint OS (LXDE desktop clone of Ubuntu)..
But I hear that the intel old chipsets are not supported in current version of Ubuntu. so the problems..
Insuch case try PCLINUXOS 2010
My advice to all the Linux users is Dont always relay on the Magazines CDs/DVD as the quality is always 50:50 due to wear and dear /handling in the retailer ends. always directly download from themirrors/torrents..also check your CDwriter/DVDwriter..only after bad burms of more than 10 DVD I relised that my DVD has struggling at its end of life and need replacements.. Badburn is the most reason for installation failures

Top Bottom