vx550W and GA-P55A-UD3R problem..

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
I've just bought some components for my PC and these include corsair vx550W PSU and Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R motherboard...

the system doesn't boot..the keyboard lights up for a second and then NOTHING...

I have noticed that the 8pin of the PSU is different from the 8pin of the motherboard..what I'm saying is the shapes of the 8 sockets are different..the alignment of the squares and the other thing is different..
on the PSU it's like

aaab
aaba

and on the mobo it's like
baab
abba

b is Square
a is the other one.

is this the problem or is it something else..
what can i do here guys need help...

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
The 8PIN EPS12V cannot be different from the 12V connector on the powersupply unit. You are probably trying to connect the PCI.E graphic connector.

Give this page a good read. It will clear all doubts.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I have noticed that the 8pin of the PSU is different from the 8pin of the motherboard..what I'm saying is the shapes of the 8 sockets are different
Consider yourself lucky. The beauty of such power supplies is that they have overvolt protection circuit as it shuts down the system ASAP before there are any chances of short circuit due to improper assembling. Should it not have, you would have fried your mobo and the processor by the time you would have started..

It sounds as if you're trying to force a 6+2 pcie pin in your mobo connector. Reconfirm if that's the case. There's an EPS/ATX connector that you need to use (its splits as 4+4 so attach them together and then connect on the 8 pin mobo connector). Check your power supply connectors carefully.

Last edited:
OP
Reaper_vivek

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
Thanx a lot for that..i noticed the same diff in the 2*4-pin connector of thd psu..
The left one is normal but the right one has all rounded sockets..
Did the paperclip test of the psu its working fine..
Going to check it again..
Is there anything else which is causing this prob

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
The only thing you can go 'wrong' with is the EPS12V and the PCI.E connectors. Rest will not fit, even if force fitted.

OP
Reaper_vivek

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
I am connecting the eps12v NOT the pcie cable..
It is clearly mentioned on the cables..so i'm not confused between the two..
Cannot believe that i can't still use my pc..
What else could be the reason for no boot..

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Intel i5 760
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R
G. Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1600CL8Trident
WD 1 TB 64MB 7200rpm
HAF 912 Advanced
Dell ST2220L LED 21.5 FullHD
Corsair vx550W
MSI 5770 Twin Frozr II
Razer Abyssus
XBOX 360 controller
CM hyper212 PLUS

copied from his original thread .

strange that neither the smps or mobo manuals have anything helpful.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
It says "pcie" on the connector itself- last time I checked the vx series.

BTW I did see a friend having a common friend's TX750 with one of th 24 pin connector not being able to fit and he adds "tx 750 is as it is a weird psu". Not that I am saying that could be the reason as this is something I've heard in a production batch long time ago and I don't think it could be the case in vx series. Still, check the connectors. Do a power cycle.

If that doesn't work, remove everything from the case. Remove the processor and reseat it- properly. Make sure you haven't bent any pins on the socket (best if you don't touch them either). I prefer starting the system and testing it, then putting inside the case. Somewhat time consuming but it helped me pinpoint a lot of issues.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Good stuff...!

Try to boot it with one RAM stick only.

Also see if you can jump start / short circuit the board where the chassis on/off switch leads to the motherboard. If you are confused about this step, ASK, we can guide you better.

OP
Reaper_vivek

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
Did some reading...reassembled everything..still no luck...used 1 RAM and the system booted...then used both again and voila BOOTED for the first time...
special thanks to
PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about boot/no video problems! - New-System-Build - Homebuilt-Systems
gor the system speaker test...

Thanks to Asingh for giving me insight to power connectors(though that was not the problem...)
and special thanks to
PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about boot/no video problems! - New-System-Build - Homebuilt-Systems

Top Bottom