vx450 & apc

Status
Not open for further replies.

hade123

Right off the assembly line
I'm planning on getting a new pc in a couple of days. I've decided on everything except the psu and ups. The more I read about PFC and stuff the more confused I get. Some say their vx450 works with apc (the simlated sine thing) and others say it doesn't and can even be harmful to the system.

Can someone clear up this for me? Would the vx450 work with a APC BR550CI-IN 550VA ups? Also if it doesn't can you recommend a psu and ups combination that work well together? something I can get for around 6.5k?

Thanks

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Get a 650 APC. UPS are calibrated to output/support a load of ~65%.

550 rated = 358W support
650 rated = 422W support

OP
H

hade123

Hmm, so would a APC BACK-UPS 650VA work fine with a vx450 without any problems or putting my system in danger?

pulsar_swift

Youngling
I am using a Microtek Heritage 600VA and a VIP GOLD 500W. If i upgrade to a VX 450 will my current UPS support it ?

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I am using a Microtek Heritage 600VA and a VIP GOLD 500W. If i upgrade to a VX 450 will my current UPS support it ?

600VA = ~ 390W of support.

If you pull greater than this via the PSU, it will not support it. It is not about which PSU you are using, it is about how much your system will draw at load, and is of course within the PSU calibrated limit.

Piyush

Lanaya

If you pull greater than this via the PSU, it will not support it. It is not about which PSU you are using, it is about how much your system will draw at load, and is of course within the PSU calibrated limit.
awww man..
i never knew this stuff
it means i have to replace my ups too bcoz i'll be upgrading my rig this june

pulsar_swift

Youngling

Actually i have two 600VA UPS . 1 UPS is powering the CPU alone and the other one is powering the monitor and the modem, does it make any difference ?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
As a rule of thumb, the efficiency of UPSs' is 65%. So 390W is 65% of 600. Rest of the 'energy' is wasted in heat.

rajan1311

Padawan
Get a 650 APC. UPS are calibrated to output/support a load of ~65%.

550 rated = 358W support
650 rated = 422W support

Well, not exactly correct terminology, but correct nevertheless .

650VA is the output,but not in watts,but in VA. Output in VA x Power factor = Output in Watts.

For APC UPS, use power factor as 0.6 (according to apc docs).

I have been using a 500VA APC UPS for almost 2 years now,with a VX550. Your system would never use more than 200-250W.

If you get higher VA UPSes, you get a higher peak output and longer battery life, example: if your system somehow draws 300W, the UPS will give an overload warning and switch off in case of a 500VA UPS, even if the mains are alive (no power cut).

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Is it not pretty dumb to have a 550W PSU backed by a 500VA UPS..? The day you hit that load your system blacks out, or the UPS starts to whine like crazy..? OP suggested he has a 450W PSU, so I suggested the UPS accordingly -- how would we know how much he will actually pull.

Could you upload the white paper/link which you referred too. Seems interesting.

Piyush

Lanaya
@asigh
u mean the ups rating should around 1.5 times the rating of a PSU?
(just focusing on numbers)

OP
H

hade123

^^
... OP suggested he has a 450W PSU, so I suggested the UPS accordingly -- how would we know how much he will actually pull.

Well I think I might as well run this by you guys before I get it. Here's the config.

core i5-750
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
2gb ddr3 kingston (1 more 2gb ddr3 in a couple of months)
palit 9800GT sonic 512MB
2 hdd's - 160gb sata, 80gb IDE
17" monitor - res 1280x1024

The vx450 would be enough right?

Last edited:

rajan1311

Padawan
^^
Is it not pretty dumb to have a 550W PSU backed by a 500VA UPS..? The day you hit that load your system blacks out, or the UPS starts to whine like crazy..? OP suggested he has a 450W PSU, so I suggested the UPS accordingly -- how would we know how much he will actually pull.

Could you upload the white paper/link which you referred too. Seems interesting.

Um...well when i got my UPS i had a low end PC,so 500VA was fine, but after all the "moderate" upgrading, the 500VA still serves the purpose, i get a few minutes to shut down my PC, which is fine.

I have never loaded my PC up so much so that i get the overload warning, i have even connected my monitor to the UPS.

anyways, here is the doc, rep (do they have it here?) me for it :p
*www.ptsdcs.com/whitepapers/14.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom