Vista worries cause businesses to consider Macs and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
hey prakash... okay im not a fanboy of any kind but please dude dont specifically mention a religion, say christanity for that matter...

there maybe more christians here than you can imagine :)

take care in future..

anyways i agree with that "Platform Change Idea" specially in this region including the south east asian countries ;)

EDIT: My bad, i thought you were making a negetive comment on christians... sorry for not getting it right ... :D

Prakash, you do have some points right. OSS is indeed available at low cost (don't use the word cheap, it kinda sounds 'of infringed quality' :) ). But not much can be said about stability these days coz vista runs rock solid on my lappy. I am not any kinda fan boy, i use the best of both worlds, my favorite windows, vista, and my new favorite, open suse Linux 10.3. previously i dual booted between XP and Fedora 7 (starting right from Red Hat Linux 9 :) ). I am equally happy with developments in both fields. While Linux is great for me for system study purposes, the sheer amount of 'tinkering' joy it gives me. I love Windows for the sheer amount of productivity software as well as games available for it. Apart from that i find the interface very easy to use, and man font rendering of Linux SUCKS!. It doesn't shows fonts neatly rendered like windows. Fonts are either not smooth on Linux or are excessively bold and i personally don't like that.

And yes the point by gx_saurav that Windows has created a whole industry and a Lotta jobs is indeed, true. I myself am an software engineer primarily working on .NET 2.0 and 3+ technologies. And i love Windows for the .NET framework,it has made programming and designing software a joy for me. I know mono is in development and i had used it on Linux, it only supports .NET 1.1 and partial 2.0, and is not quiet up to the mark (I know the reasons why but this is what it is like now). Also the win forms functionality is also not available on Linux which takes away the ease of developing desktop applications. Market for Linux software development doesn't seems so great to me, personally. Correct me if i am wrong.
Security wise too, Windows is becoming better with less security and system updates in newer OSs. Yeah Vista is an under tested release by MS, this is a fact. But frankly on my PC, after installing 10-15 updates, my system is running on jet speed in both vista and Linux. There is no virus on my system whatsoever and no spyware at all. and i have avast anti-virus disabled on my system. I just installed it as a precaution.Windows systems has always been more vulnerable to Viral threats because of its sheer popularity and business usage. At first script kiddies use to code Viruses to get enough attention quickly which was not possible with linux as you have the whole OS opened up against you, so whats the thrill hacking it? And as businesses have started using computers, and mostly falling by default for Windows, its became a matter of financial gains for most of the hacking community. (Plz note i am talking about black hat hackers only). This can be true for Linux too, as its popularity rises , if not script kiddies, professional virus writers will definitely try to target Linux systems for financial gains.This has seen in previous virus attacks. Linux systems had been used by viruses as backdoors for attacking in DoS kind of attacks, so we can say that attack surface on Linux may be reduced, but it is present.

So cursing one OS while praising other is not the right thing to do in my opinion. Both have their pros and cons, the best we can do is to get the best out of them for the best of us.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Krazy_About_Technology said:
font rendering of Linux SUCKS!. It doesn't shows fonts neatly rendered like windows. Fonts are either not smooth on Linux or are excessively bold on Linux and i personally don't like that.

True.

Security wise too, Windows is becoming better with less security and system updates in newer OSs. Yeah Vista is an under tested release by MS, this is a fact. But frankly on my PC, after installing 10-15 updates, my system is running on jet speed in both vista and Linux. There is no virus on my system whatsoever and no spyware at all. and i have avast anti-virus disabled on my system.

Another user who saw the reality & is out of the age old misconception. I m myself using only Ad muncher & Windows Firewall. Autorun is disabled for pen drives etc so no chance of any virus

gx_saurav said:
Autorun is disabled for pen drives etc so no chance of any virus

Yup, same here. Have disabled Autorun for removable drives and using Windows Firewall (works great!), Windows Defender(Realtime protection, its great too! :) ), Spybot S&D (just the immunize function) and Disabled Avast Antivirus :-D.

At least for my system, Windows doesn't need any regular pampering :-D, one time config, and it just works. Same is true for Linux also, i had to do some initial config there too and then it works just fine.

praka123

left this forum longback
@krazy technology:the thing is what you like is not necessarily suitable for a mass of people.without M$ ecosystem and software developments,we can get freed from the monopoly and with Linux and OSS there needs to be a s/w ecosystem which needs to be evolved.till now,we saw M$ becoming richer and more and more countries they make students from small ages settle on M$ technologies thus by making them slaves of their monopoly.

Kids shud be taught Linux and Swatanthra softwares which is NOT belonging to anybody!.also if you felt developing env M$ is very nice,it cannot be helpful to all,it is ur personal choice.

I sincerely believe the alternative ecosystem where proprietory companies lossing grounds shud come.that doesnot mean infosys or other software companies to close down and developers or engineers losing Job.

the alternative option with GNU/Linux means the software would be essentially free, and for bugfixes and updates,the developer or developers can make a subscription system where the companies pay for the bug-fix,update and other support for the concerned.While Home users and students can enjoy the Free Software and having the basic taught.

How to earn money from Free Software is still in thinkpool where different models for payment for livelihood are sorted out.one such site is
*follars.com means Follars stands for Free, Open Source Dollars.

And regarding viruses for linux,security aspects it is here in the forum there are lot of articles and links posted.
One think-with increasing userbase or enterprise deployment Linux Viruses(only worms!) will not increase.it is because of the unix style permission system that linux uses.and with netfilter iptables FW is not enough,there is Apparmor,NSA SElinux etc to take care of.
Windows Vista or server 2008 cannot even dream of such things.I know windows got network stacks copied straight from unix.still UNIX is UNIX.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
praka123 said:
@krazy technology:the thing is what you like is not necessarily suitable for a mass of people.without M$ ecosystem and software developments,we can get freed from the monopoly and with Linux and OSS there needs to be a s/w ecosystem which needs to be evolved.

If only Linux is there, won't that be bad for consumers too.?
more countries they make students from small ages settle on M$ technologies thus by making them slaves of their monopoly.

WTH...is mehul a slave? is mediator a slave? They chose OSS on there own, no one told them to use OSS.

How to earn money from Free Software is still in thinkpool where different models for payment for livelihood are sorted out.one such site is
*follars.com means Follars stands for Free, Open Source Dollars.

Lolz...it is still undecided how to make money using OSS :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
commenting on the topic i dont think vista is worried because of linux or macs .... macs toh i can definitely say doesnt worry vista at all ;) linux yes to an extent servers and major govt org have turned to linux recently but yet as it has been pointed out many times before vista faces competition and tough competition as in that a competition that affects sales only from xp coz right now there is nothing so very radical over xp in vista that would make corporations pump in huge amounts of money to migrate to vista .... but macs worrying vista :lol: linux :lol: i know 1 distro thats no competition to vista - ubuntu ;)

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
if you like something use it and just shut all your holes... dont keep shoving mindless advice into other's holes

windows or linux or mac whatever sh!t you like just use it. who gives a sh!t on what you use.

there are some reasons people use something. and there are also reasons that ppl dont use something.
not everyone will wear the same type of dress ?? will they ??

everyone takes decisions based on what they feel is better. and for gods sake dont mess with others freedom to take decisions.

_

rajasekharan

Youngling
i guess it will be better if there is a unified o.s
as frankly i dont care if its win , Linux or mac . . i just want my programs to work thats all :).
i moved to xp cause i had bad trouble with quicktime files in vista. now considering to move to mac for "final cut pro". i cant afford a mac for that . so if it works on Linux . i am for it . . man, all these o.s thing is a bad omen . some work on one . some on others :-(.

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
if you like something use it and just shut all your holes... dont keep shoving mindless advice into other's holes

windows or linux or mac whatever sh!t you like just use it. who gives a sh!t on what you use.

What kind of language is this :mad:

everyone takes decisions based on what they feel is better. and for gods sake dont mess with others freedom to take decisions.

dude he is not messing i think u r messing :D so shut up

i think unless u promote a thing how will the people come to know That Linux is far far better and i believe a healthy competition is always good for consumers :)

Who says you can't make programs for linux and earn money? you can easily make propiatary softwares for linux, FYKI. a softy for lin need not be compulsarily OSS

The key to making softys running on multiple platforms is to develop softwares in the classic unix style. Make purely command line apps using C, C++, etc . The GUIs can be seperately implemented for any OS, and it is an easy on demand task, while a pure commandline app can be compiled easily for multiple platforms. Java is another great technique. QT is another decent option for lin mac win compatability. The problem is that ppl are thinking that apps can only be made from .net framework, mfc, MSVCPP and MSVB.

things like font rendering, audio clarity, OpenGL problems, etc are currently being fixed. audio output is already fixed and alsa has been discarded in fedora 8 with something new.

linux has already beaten macintoshes big time, because the adavent of customised OSes courtacy linux like ubuntu studio, vector linux soho, suse enterprise, etc has reduced the apparent usefulness of bundled softys in macs like ilife, iwork, etc. they are still there only due to eye-candy and status symbol.

and I think ppl are right in saying that the only reason microsoft is having the large user base is because of the fact that kids are being taught windows at school. When I was in class three, I might as well have used some linux distro. the only reason I had to use linux for another 7.5 years is because I learnt abt comps on a win98 machine.

I noticed that even today, CBSE has its computer science course for classes 1 to 12 based on MS Windows. I was horrified to note that it was M$ who offered to design the curriculum for classes 1-10. My sis's free coppy of class 9 CS has the M$ logo in it. This catch 'em young and they are yours stratagy of microsoft is the reason they are hooked on to the market. Games are designed for microsoft only because they have a large market share.

I have been doing ammature reserch of the idea of all pc running games, which use a standard boot loader like grub to boot into the game OS and run the game. I think a freely available BSD style licenced GAME-only OS with minimalistic graphics and CPU/RAM usage is the solution to effitiently run games on all PCs. We must be able to enjoy games on all PCs, regardless of what they run. A standardised structure for the PlayOS or GameOS is exactly what we need.

PS: regarding the game os, I have several such wierd ideas, some of which have actually been implemented years after I thought of them by some company... I even used what cricket now calls doosra back when I was 10 years because I was confused which side is off and which is leg. Still muthuji gets credit for it... :lol: sorry if my imagination has run wild

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
MetalheadGautham said:
Who says you can't make programs for linux and earn money? you can easily make propiatary softwares for linux, FYKI. a softy for lin need not be compulsarily OSS
tha beats the whole idea of OSS ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom