Vista will drive users to Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satissh S

Youngling
Naveen said:
I feel that ONLY thing that most users get attracted to windows is "Appearance"
Well .. I'am really surprised that you are saying this. If you haven't already take a look at Lynucs.org . I really feel that linux as an OS due to it's Free Nature is more customisable as far as appearance is concerned. No Hard feelings anyways! :)

praka123

left this forum longback
:D I too feel the decoration works and cute icons drive users to wingdows....
Linux by default(except few distros) not come with such a good artwork...
Well,after installation of Linux,i've customised it using themes and icons set from ur mentioned site to woo some interest from wingdows users... :) :)

naveenchandran

In the zone
Satissh S said:
Naveen said:
I feel that ONLY thing that most users get attracted to windows is "Appearance"
Well .. I'am really surprised that you are saying this. If you haven't already take a look at Lynucs.org . I really feel that linux as an OS due to it's Free Nature is more customisable as far as appearance is concerned. No Hard feelings anyways! :)

No.. what I mean to say is most of them wants to test vista only due to its appearance.

I know that in linux excellent appearance can be made... with good icons etc... Even transparency of windows is now evolving.... Lot of good WM for linux like Gnome, KDE, XFCE, Enlightment are available...

@prakash_kerala
What you say is true 100%

Kannan

In the zone
Seems like a hot & intense argument is going on. hmmm

Anways, working in a corporate and working with servers I know how difficult it is to configure Linux based servers and Sun based servers !.

But sun based servers rule major servers and Next comes the Windows based servers and finally Linux based servers.

Another things is that Windows Servers are easy to use & configure, as most of the peeople might have used the desktop versions.

Another thing is that Window GUI is easy on eye when compared to Sun based OS or Any Linux flavours !.

Also switching people who are used to Windows to Linux is damm difficult & costly.

Also most of the companies use ASP applications to automate the official works and so Windows will be easy.

Also Windows Servers are easy to configure messaging & mailing system for corporates.

Vista seems to have some good architecture. But have to see its performance once its launched.

Also most of the servers come default with Windows or Sun Solaris in market.

Seems like I have typed lot of "Also" :p

*www.binarybits.net/scripts/trillianstatus/temp/status.png

praka123

left this forum longback
@kannan:
Another thing is Wingoose used by most in India are pirated

Also many of them dont know what piracy is

Also they start to Live with BSOD,Viruses,Trojans etc

Also Linux is hated First by many Companies and after virus attacks and server crashes with their Wingoose Servr 2003,They shyfully changed to GNU/Linux..

Also most People are spoonfed by Pirated Wingoose OS.so they jus cant understand what is piracy and what is Operating System? :shock:

Also In Chennai,many prominent shops are using Pirated Wingdows OS proudly...

Also the founder of M$ is evil,his ethics are evil,if not why does he wants to spread FUD[Fear, uncertainty and doubt] and patent warfare against Linux?
Also, Infact we saw somewhere in this forum that he cannot trust his wingoose OS for DNS servers for his microsoft.com site,ending up getting GNU/Linux servers from Akamai running DNS for his grrreat wingoose site!

I believe i answered Ur 'Also' effectively! Appo Sari,Appuram Paappom,Onnum Manasula Vechikkade!

Kannan

In the zone
prakash said:
Another thing is Wingoose used by most in India are pirated

Also many of them dont know what piracy is
Yup, I know

prakash said:
Also they start to Live with BSOD,Viruses,Trojans etc
I don't think so. Most of the people know how to protect their PCs. Infact I am sure that most of the Win Users in this forum know how to protect their Win based PC & Data.

prakash said:
Also Linux is hated First by many Companies and after virus attacks and server crashes with their Wingoose Servr 2003,They shyfully changed to GNU/Linux..

Can't accept this one too as our company puts Antivirus, firewall and updates to max use. So we haven't seens any such problems and most of the companies doo that too.

Shifting to Linux will solve some problem but will end up producing lot of compatibility, migration & training problems.

prakash said:
Appo Sari,Appuram Paappom,Onnum Manasula Vechikkade!

Nann onnum manusula vechikkale :D

*www.binarybits.net/scripts/trillianstatus/temp/status.png

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Vista has a new look to the interface and i think it is a bit difficult to get adapted to it for first-timers and also novices.i feel tht the interface is a bit like linux.and surely the author of this thread must be given credit for bringing this out!!!!!!

P

priyadarshi

cryptid said:
Well i have a strong feeling that this will happen(i,e ppl shifting from Windows to linux) common with a OS costing as much as a new alien PC who would even think of giving it a try and for all the ppl who are thinking to sticking to XP.I have only 1 thing to say ,y u want to stick to a Fiat premier padmini when some 1 is giving away their Merc for Free, common guys y dont u give linux a try start with Ubuntu its a good Distro for noobs, ppl have a wrong notion that linux is for only experienced and SUper users,,, once u give Ubuntu a try u will feel that this is totally wrong.

I want to shift to Linux. I tried several times to create a new account on *shipit.ubuntu.com/ but don't know why they not sending me the password to login. :evil: Send mails to the concerned persons in India but they too didn't replied. If this is the service what they are providing how people interested working with Linux like me will give it a try? Can anyone please help me getting a copy of a free Linux at my doorstep? :roll:

P

priyadarshi

tuxfan said:
And what about hardware support? Linux still lacks quite a bit there as well. Mainly hardware manufacturers are to be blamed for this. But you can't expect users to sit and find the right drivers for their hardware every now an then :roll:

I agree with tucfan. this is why linux is not so popular amongst home users.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
priyadarshi said:
want to shift to Linux. I tried several times to create a new account on *shipit.ubuntu.com/ but don't know why they not sending me the password to login. :evil: Send mails to the concerned persons in India but they too didn't replied. If this is the service what they are providing how people interested working with Linux like me will give it a try? Can anyone please help me getting a copy of a free Linux at my doorstep? :roll:

OK, gimme your postal address + phone by pm. dont reply here. I'll make order for you.

eddie

El mooooo
priyadarshi said:
I want to shift to Linux. I tried several times to create a new account on *shipit.ubuntu.com/ but don't know why they not sending me the password to login. :evil: Send mails to the concerned persons in India but they too didn't replied. If this is the service what they are providing how people interested working with Linux like me will give it a try? Can anyone please help me getting a copy of a free Linux at my doorstep? :roll:
For god's sake dude..this is all free. You are not paying something, alright? What kind of service do you want? What do they owe you that they should provide you "service"? Cut the attitude and contact Linux-Delhi User Group mailing list for CDs. Also look at this thread that has been going around recently on the list
*www.mail-archive.com/ilugd@lists.linux-delhi.org/msg14484.html
If you are in any of those areas then you can get the CDs from Delhi itself but contact any of those people without attitude.

The_ruler

Right off the assembly line
windows vista interface and security

I dont't think so that windows vista will drive the
users to linux.
Because once the windows vista releases the people get crazy about vista !! and used to upgrade their system to the windows vista required once and enjoyed the full potentail of windows vista!!
we heard that windows vista will have more sleeker and cool interfaces then the mac os X Tiger
and have great security features

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well if you're talking about the GUI have a look at Novell's XGL or Red Hat's AIGLX. BTW you need linux for that and a graphics card too.

praka123

left this forum longback
what will vista costs in india(not 4 a pirate),my guess is will be around Rs25000 is it right? ;)

Satissh S

Youngling
@prakash : And wat abt hardware upgrades for that!!? :roll: :lol:
May be they've addressed a few security concerns here and there by scrappily copying from *nix.. may be they'll try better. Vista might be one of the most secure Windows version to come out.. but i swear people definitely wont upgrade their existing xp systems to vista and it may/may not drive users to GNU\Linux. :|

allajunaki

Journeyman
Tech&ME said:
I think its best not to talk in this topic.(For ME atleast, since everyone is talking based on there DESKTOP experiences and DIGIT Linux distros)

Before replying to this topic I would like to request forum members to atleast tell us.

1. How many of you run real SERVERS (Windows or Linux based) in your real life ?

2. What Critical Servers are and what type of Servers are we talking about here ?

Let me do the honors of answering that.
1. Me, Our team Manages 30-35 Servers ( We do Active monitoring of these servers as they host Various Server Components of the Application We support).

2. Criticality? Hmm.. Well.. A downtime of >5 Minutes of these servers without prior information is considered to be a Serious Business Problem.

Ok, this what we handle.but there are other servers which we dont have access, totalling about 10,000 Servers.

Now Some servers is so critical that they have 2 - 3 backup machines. Why? Because our client is one of the top 3 Financial Assets Management Company, One of the Biggest Bankers in the world. They are so paranoid anout security that we are not allowed to work on our personal desktops, we have to do remote session into their Machines located elsewhere and work. They are so strict that I have signed an agreement that I will not reveal their name anywhere. And couple of guys got sacked, coz they downloaded sometihing off the e-mail.

Enough said about criticallity and Confidentiality.

The Server of Choice for all of em is without qustion Unix. There is nothing which can remotley matchup the scalablity and strength of Unix machines.

The unix servers manage all the critical and vital softwares of the bank.

And no this is not my opinion. Its by people who knows systems like back of their hand. And its for a company where Systems HAVE to be running all the time as they have production servers in 9 Locations. So in a day there is atleast 1 Site is having its business hours.

And my dear friend Windows Machines dont see past 2 weeks uptime. And unix machines see an uptime of 6-8 Months.. where a reboot is did after some patch upgrade or for some maintanence work. OS never crashed. But Some apps with run with kernel ring crashes. So they can be upped only with a full reboot (Also because some issues take onger to resolve without a rebootl. So far we have encountered Two such instances in Unix. And that wasnt a Unix issue.. it was a hardware issue. Interestingly Unix system ran pretty crippled mode with one bank of Rams Failing totally.. (Low performance. no crash)

Oh yeah.. we do have Linux machines too...In fact some of our servers are Linux. Even they are quite good. Uptimes of 4-6 months are quite common...

Now Any questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom