Vista SP1 - Churns around 40% more fps (crysis game) over vanilla vista???

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Conclusion: Hotfix or SP1?
With SP1 right around the corner, the Vista community is champing at the bit. Most of our gaming experience, and definitely our other tests, show that it's definitely worth the download and the slow, plodding installation. Gamers will almost certainly benefit from the myriad of fixes in the service pack.

*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/15/0,1425,i=153747,00.gifFind out how to Speed Up Windows Vista.

We're troubled, however, by the Crysis tests. In fact, we're warming up a different test system as we type this conclusion to corroborate them. As startling as they are, however, they don't diminish the fact that all the other tests show that SP1 does indeed improve performance, especially in gaming and multimedia. If you're a diehard Crysis player with an SLI rig, you might hold off until more SP1 tests are published; otherwise, SP1 is a boon to the troubled operating system and deserves serious consideration by anyone running Windows Vista on a gaming computer.

Source: *www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2273203,00.asp

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hehehe.

Been using Vista since it's release. For the last 5 months or so (windows update on all the time), not even a single hang-up or a crash of the OS, until a really bad virus attack :(

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Been using Vista since beta 2. After RTM release just 2 BSD when playing DVDs with my old FX 5900XT graphics card. No more BSD on new workstation

narangz

Web developer
hehehe.

Been using Vista since it's release. For the last 5 months or so (windows update on all the time), not even a single hang-up or a crash of the OS, until a really bad virus attack :(

I never had a hang-up or a crash. Had one BSoD that too coz I installed a wrong driver intentionally to see if it shows BSoD or not. It passed my BSoD test :D

Voldy

The Dark lord
grt thanks for the news
however i had never encountered frm any prob. in my Vista Ultimate
and thanks for the tweak article

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Just some strange BSODs when trying to defragment my Data drive with Tune Up Defragg. On deleting some data from the drive, it worked all fine! Really strange.

If the FPS news is really true, this could be one of the biggest gains of adopting Vista for the gamers.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
My laptop is still crawlling.. waiting for SP1.

I have vista on my PC as well. config
PC-
P4 520 (2.8GHz + HT )
768 MB DDR RAM @333MHz.
Nvidia 7300GT ( 256 MB).

Laptop.
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 @1.9 GHz
1GB RAM.
Nvidia 7100 (128 MB shared with system RAM)

Strange thing is .. my PC runs smoother and faster than my lappy :confused: . I have to clean install Vista on the Lappy.. will do after SP1 comes on windows update.

My Vista HP + SP1 RTM rocks!! It has poured life into my old lappy, although i miss AERO sumtimes, got a 915 :-|. But really, after adding a GB of ram to my 1.6 ghz celeron with 256 MB RAM and 40 gb hdd (an entry level one, back 2 years), Vista runs smoothly on it. The superfetch of Vista is great and works for me well. I love it. And to satisfy ALL my senses, Kubuntu along with it is just the right combinations for my ever changing moods with OSs :) Best of both Worlds!!! :)

Where to download SP1? Is it compatible with Vista Home Premium?

SP1 is not yet available from Microsoft officially for general customers. At present its only available for MSDN subscribers. But it will be available around 17th of March, if i remember right. A leaked copy is available on unofficial sources but nothing can be said about its authenticity, so download at your own risk. I don't think its necessary now since only a few days are left for public release.

And yes, it is compatible with all versions of Vista. Just make one thing sure, while installing it, you'll need power backup for at least two hours. Its very very important!!!

Cheers :)

Last edited:

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Even my 2 year old inspiron runs it very very smoothly and have been using it since a little more than an year n half (Almost) and since last January it has been great all through the way especially after the much needed updates throughout all this way :D

Anyways keepin my fingers crossed for SP1 :)

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
If I think like microsoft, I would say, Xp3 shows immediate perf. improvement but will degrade OS on long run so that users feel the need for Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom