Vista showing 3.5gb ram but i got 5gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirates1323

In the zone
I just added 2 new (G-Skills 2gb *2 ddr2) ram into 2 slots ... and the other 2 slots had (512 mb *2 ddr2) of ram ... bios is showing correct amount of ram like 5120 mb somethin ... but vista is showing only 3574 mb ram only .. why ? ...

I got windows vista home 32bit
intel core 2 duo E4400
intel gma 950 graphics ...

should I remove the old (512mb*2) ddr2 of ram and let only G-Skills remain there..

I also got GEforce 8800GT but I have not installed it cuz I did not upgraded the SMPS(PSU) yet ...

ajaybc

Youngling
U r greedy really greedy.Be contend with what u have.After all It is more than all guys here at this forum has.5GB Oh my God!!! and that too with the crappy core 2 duo E4400

Last edited:

xbonez

NP : Crysis
^^ actually, yes..it is too much for a hardcore gamer too...5gb is overkill...upto 4gb is alright, though seldom required by games...anything more than that is merely using up power and generating heat

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Vista supports only 4gb ram, as of SP1. You have to use vista 64 bit for more memory. You can run it on your C2D so go buy it.

*support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

In 4 Gb memory only 3.5Gb is reported as address space.

ajaybc

Youngling
^^ actually, yes..it is too much for a hardcore gamer too...5gb is overkill...upto 4gb is alright, though seldom required by games...anything more than that is merely using up power and generating heat

I too agree with that.Even the Digit game review team which tests games in the best rigs in India haven't seen this much RAM

life31

Journeyman
Oh my god..................5gb Ram..............................?????????????????????

Lol are you crazy...... Lol my PC has just 256+128 RAM :D :D :D

BloodReaper

Broken In
Vista supports only 4gb ram, as of SP1. You have to use vista 64 bit for more memory. You can run it on your C2D so go buy it.

*support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

In 4 Gb memory only 3.5Gb is reported as address space.

Blithering idiots that come on this forum. You must understand that any 32 bit OS will support maximum of around 3.5 GB

For making full use of that 5 GB you will have to get a 64 bit edition of any WINDOWS VISTA VERSION REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT IS SP1 OR SP1000

xbonez

NP : Crysis
Digit team might have a very good setup but I seriously doubt it has the best rigs in India.:rolleyes:

agreed, but i'm sure they don't lack in the memory department

Blithering idiots that come on this forum. You must understand that any 32 bit OS will support maximum of around 3.5 GB

thank u for shedding the much required light on our mental capacities...next time, please just get on with ur answer and cut out the courtesies

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!

For making full use of that 5 GB you will have to get a 64 bit edition of any WINDOWS VISTA VERSION REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT IS SP1 OR SP1000

Isnt that what I said, in more decent terms?

If you like repeating after people the same thing, you might want to look at a career as a rude ill-mannered parrot.

@OP

Sorry for the off topic. Perhaps the OP could plant those 512 x2 ram which he removed into BloodReaper's brain. A parrot with 1 GB Memory will sell for $$$ on ebay.

upendra_gp

In the zone
i read somewhere that 32 bit OS's don't use RAM effecively. right?
and yes they are true vista 32bit HOME doesn't support that much RAM. Get ULTIMATE.

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
i read somewhere that 32 bit OS's don't use RAM effecively. right?
and yes they are true vista 32bit HOME doesn't support that much RAM. Get ULTIMATE.

Ultimate 32 bit does not support over 3.5 GB either. In any case the question has very effectively been answered and this thread should be closed now before a lengthy discussion commences on the mental acuity (or lack thereof) of some of the members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom