Vista showing 3.5gb ram but i got 5gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajaybc

Youngling
yeah it should be closed.

The final conclusion:-

If u have more than 3.5GB of RAM and want to use it then use any 64bit operating system.(Windows Vista all flavours 64bit,Windows XP 64,Ubuntu 64,etc.).But u shud have a compatible 64bit processor like(amd athlon 64,Intel Core 2 Duo series,amd X2 series etc.).

If u have an old 32bit bit processor and want to plug in more than 3.5GB then either buy a new 64bit processor or throw away (your RAM-3.5GB) and plugin the rest.

I think there is no more scope for discussion and mods please close this thread.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
are all those sticks Gskill rams? i dont think so..since Gskill has different series for 512mb , 1gb ,2gb sticks (most of them differ )

ajaybc

Youngling
Y u guys keep on bumping this thread.Just wasting r time.There are even worser situations to take care of.try help those guys.MODS please close it.

prem4u

Old is Gold
32bit OS can support max 2^32 = 4GB due 32bit address line.
32bit OS have only 4GB of memorymap for all devices connected to it.
like RAM, ROM, Display memory and other things..

so use 64bit OS...that ll support 2^64 = 16EB..
u know wat EB stands for...? it is Exa..means Trillion (u can say infinite for this age.)

ajaybc

Youngling

If u have more than 3.5GB of RAM and want to use it then use any 64bit operating system.(Windows Vista all flavours 64bit,Windows XP 64,Ubuntu 64,etc.).But u shud have a compatible 64bit processor like(amd athlon 64,Intel Core 2 Duo series,amd X2 series etc.).

If u have an old 32bit bit processor and want to plug in more than 3.5GB then either buy a new 64bit processor or throw away (your RAM-3.5GB) and plugin the rest.

I think there is no more scope for discussion and mods please close this thread.

u know wat EB stands for...? it is Exa..means Trillion (u can say infinite for this age.)

Already explained by me and many others.Why are all guys attracted to this thread?What is the coolness factor in this thread?

nothing wrong with using 5gb ram. I have seen guys flaunting 8 gigs of it. The problem is that the 32 bit Windows Vista OS you have is crap, as its made for the old era when 4 gb ram was not even present in servers. So it supports only 3.5-4 gb of ram. Get a good 64 bit OS if you want to use more RAM.

ajaybc

Youngling

no. the rest 512 mb, is taken up by gpu memory. hence leaving only 3.5gb out of 4gb max limit for 32bit oses to address.

Already explained by me and many others.Why are all guys attracted to this thread?What is the coolness factor in this thread?

nothing wrong with using 5gb ram. I have seen guys flaunting 8 gigs of it. The problem is that the 32 bit Windows Vista OS you have is crap, as its made for the old era when 4 gb ram was not even present in servers. So it supports only 3.5-4 gb of ram. Get a good 64 bit OS if you want to use more RAM.

Same thing again and again

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
ajaybc is very eager to close this thread.

They all r giving knowledge, they all r saying something different.(only something)

axxo

99.9% Idle
In my opinion 64 bit offers no real advantage as of now bcoz 64 bit apps are scarce to make use all your ram. So even if you use 64 bit vista its obvious that all your 5gb will get detected but still all your apps perform as same as before bcoz they are limited to 32 bit addressing and wont use beyond 3-3.5gb RAM.
And microsoft have patched sp1 for vista to detect 4gb and above(atleast to show in system properties window), will recommend this update instead of x64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom