Virus in Ask toolbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

120i

Broken In
Hi, T

Today I got a windows 7 boot loader failure, I had a dual boot with xp sp3 home on my eeepc. First i thought it was a normal as windows sometimes likes to play with us. So went ahead and repaired the boot loader, poooof... nowxp has vanished,did some googlin and xp was running up again .... aaaah relief ,not. As soon as i restared from xp the win 7 boot loader failed again. In confusion I wiped win 7 from my disk thinking it the culprit and causing me a headache. After i removed win7 i did a repair from xp usb disk to restore the mbr. Again xp was running like cake, did some couple of restarts to see if it was any disk problem, now at startup i see a flash of a message something like boot.ini not found or something. Upon entering windows i found boot.ini and config.sys missing. Ok, restored the boot.ini from windows>pss folder, but on next reboot the file has gone vanished. Tried a few times but the boot.ini file gets deleted on everystartup.Strange thing is that it deletes any file with name "boot", the extension doesn't matter.
Any way I did a scan with nod32 and mbam, wasted like an hour they found nothing. Did some googlin and found that it may be some kind of malware. Ok i already did those scans. Now what todo ? Hmm idea !! I searched for all the files modified between today, and what the hell i find a pesky little ask toolbar was installed today without even notifying me . I uninstalled it and now everything is back to normal.

In all this mess i lost the win 7 rc :( have to reinstall it again :( .

Ask me !!! I say Stay away from it. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom