Virus caught my USB HDD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

niz

Broken In
Hi, my 40 GB USB HDD (4 partitions, FAT32) caught a virus which my antivirus managed to clean. However, since then whenever I plug it in the Open dialogue box shows a 'Run application' option at the top (typically it used to be Windows' file explorer before). In plain English, I can't normally access any drive from my USB HDD and have to right-click and explore or open it. How do I solve this problem? I have checked the HDD several times using other antivirii and it seems to be virus-free. Urgent! Thanks in advance,
niz

Aberforth

The Internationalist
First enable viewing hidden and system files in your folder and then access the HDD, remove the file called autorun.inf. It would solve the problem.

To enable viewing hidden and system files you have to open any explorer windows like My Computer and go to toolbat Tools>>Folder Options>>

OP
N

niz

Broken In
There doesn't seem to be any autorun.exe files... so I guess formatting is the only option left.. Thanks all

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Is there a way to have a virus scanner installed on usb HDD so when its connected to any computer it catches a virus, irrespective weather the host computer has updated virus definition updated or not?

I have heard about portable anti virus , will they work on usb disk?

OP
N

niz

Broken In
I'm working on formatting the drives. Ranjan2001: don't have a clue. But, funny, some of the popular Yeti Sports flash games have an antivirus of sorts -- which is displayed when you press B while the game is running. Don't know how it works though -- or what it really is. Thx,
niz

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Its not autorun.exe. Its a hidden file autorun.inf which runs a removeable drive atomatically. It is hidden in case of viruses and visible in case of normal softwares. Its not a virus by iteself but a launching pad for viruses to install themselves without your knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom