virtual memory settings in winxp

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamtulipin

Broken In
i have a HDD of 40 GB and 512 RAM ...what are the recommended settings for virtual memory in winxp and which drive paging file should be set

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
page file should be set in the starting blocks of any partition for quick access.....since the primary partition has windows boot files in it the next best option is to set a paging file or 512mb on the very next partition to the windows one after formatting it to ensure that the paging file sits on the starting of the partition......better still create a separate partition for the swap file as linux does.....unless you do some heavy duty stuff on ur comp stick to 512mb or else set a 768mb page file...

theraven

Technomancer
swap/page file size should usually be set to 2ce your ram

let windows manage ur page size thats the best option
if u do wanna edit keep it at a min of 768 mb and a max of 1536 mb
(my settings )

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
theraven said:
if u do wanna edit keep it at a min of 768 mb and a max of 1536 mb
(my settings )
No you should not keep min and max Pagefile different. Keep the same value to get best performance and to avoid fragmentation of pagefile.

And i agree to the point that you should create a separate partation for the pagefile like in Linux.

smt_malhotra

Broken In
the size of virtual memory should be 2 to 2.5 times of your RAM, but maximum of 256 MB
if u have 512 MB of RAM u should use 256MB of virtual memory
to get better performance and speed the drive or partition for paging file should be other than that in which xp is installed
or create a separate partition of say 500MB for paging file

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
swap file should be 2 to 2.5 times ur ram only if you haf 256mb or less of system ram.....it makes no sence to haf a 2.5gb swap file if you haf 1 gb or RAM......it all depends on the software you run....

dude...if you dun run heavy duty software then i recommend the first partition to house windows and system software and the immediate partition for swap of a max of 770mb wid a min and max swap file size of 768mb at the most. i dun think you requite a huuuuuuuuge swap file wid half gig of ram even to run the hungriest of the games!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
swap file should be 2 to 2.5 times ur ram only if you haf 256mb or less of system ram.....it makes no sence to haf a 2.5gb swap file if you haf 1 gb or RAM......it all depends on the software you run....

dude...if you dun run heavy duty software then i recommend the first partition to house windows and system software and the immediate partition for swap of a max of 770mb wid a min and max swap file size of 768mb at the most. i dun think you requite a huuuuuuuuge swap file wid half gig of ram even to run the hungriest of the games!

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Because Windows usually does a half-assed job and does not have enough sense to use the pagefile on a separate partition at the beginning of the disk and lets the file size of the pagefile.sys file go all over the place. Its much more efficient and performance-friendly if you tweak it to the settings it should be.

Scorpion

Journeyman
512 MB of page file shall do fine. And fix the file at the same size(both max. and min.)

Leaving it to windows isn't a good option. Windows is bad at judging how things turn out! Its Anti-Spyware for example!

Status
Not open for further replies.