Virtual memory LOW :( (help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinku dhar

In the zone
well ... ,

can anyone tell me y my Virtual memory LOW i have 20 + 80 GB HDD

and now i want to increase Virtual Memory Space plz tell me How much will be PErfect

My now INitial Size is = 400 MB
and MAX is 725 MB

Regards :)

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
generally.. 1.5 times the size of your RAM is sufficient... If you are facing problems with VM, then there is no harm to increase it. Since, you say that u have two HDD, I would suggest you to allocate the virtual memory in the hard-disk on which windows is NOT installed which will slightly boost your systems' performance...

Any more queries?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
While setting size set the initial ns max at same value. In that case windows is relieved from the task of expanding the size from initial to max during load times.
Also first full defrag ur partition in which u gonna set the VM.

OP
tinku dhar

tinku dhar

In the zone
sridatta said:
generally.. 1.5 times the size of your RAM is sufficient... If you are facing problems with VM, then there is no harm to increase it. Since, you say that u have two HDD, I would suggest you to allocate the virtual memory in the hard-disk on which windows is NOT installed which will slightly boost your systems' performance...

Any more queries?

Plz give the detail of to do it :|

OP
tinku dhar

tinku dhar

In the zone
Tech Geek said:
empty up ur drive where ever your OS is installed

Wat u mean by tht ?

i think this 256 MB is good tooo i will buy but now its not possible to Soo gemme some trick i got it be4 but dunno the link forgot

Last edited:

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
tinku dhar said:
Plz give the detail of to do it :|
Right click on my computer, go to properties --> Advanced --> Settings under performance -> Advanced
Click change beside virtual memory
select the drive of harddisk on which ur windows is not installed and enter custom size as 384 mb to 500 mb suppose... You can also allocate more.. change the 384 to more..
click on SET
Now, deallocate the virtual memory buy choosing "no paging file" option for your drive on which ur windows is installed..(i.e. removing previous allocation) and save changes..

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
sridatta said:
select the drive of harddisk on which ur windows is not installed
a point to NOTE tinku:wink:

allocate the VM in non OS HDD, to gain better performance.

select "No Paging File" for C: Drive & allocate some space for Page File in other non OS Drive.

select the CustomSize (marked with blue circle), & set the desired size. (always keep both minimum & maximum as same)

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
yes. its reccomended in Microsoft's Support Page itself

To enhance performance, it is good practice to put the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive.

That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly. When the paging file is on the boot partition, Windows must perform disk reading and writing requests on both the system folder and the paging file. When the paging file is moved to a different partition, there is less competition between reading and writing requests.
read the whole quote, very imp. stuff.:wink: for those having two+ HDD

source: Microsoft Support - Article 314482

OP
tinku dhar

tinku dhar

In the zone
s18000rpm said:
a point to NOTE tinku:wink:

allocate the VM in non OS HDD, to gain better performance.

select "No Paging File" for C: Drive & allocate some space for Page File in other non OS Drive.

select the CustomSize (marked with blue circle), & set the desired size. (always keep both minimum & maximum as same)

Dude i gave Reputation hehe

well now tell me wat suld be the MB in INTIAL and MAX ?

i mean how much suld be Good ?

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
The recommended minimum size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size.For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under 'Total paging file size for all drives'

Just a suggestion...

OP
tinku dhar

tinku dhar

In the zone
I will keep 800 MB both for initial as well as MAX is it ok ?

i have 40 Gb of space in one Drive and my ram is 256 MB :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom