Video conversion problem

Hi. I have many movies on my PC which I intend to watch on my cell phone while commuting between home and college. The movies are mostly 720p and sized ~900 MB each. When I convert them to MP4 ( 320x240, 30fps, AAC for audio at 160 kbps and 41000 Hz sampling rate), the size of the converted movie becomes larger than the original movie :shocked: The converted file sizes ~1200 MB! What am I doing wrong and how should I rectify it?

I used Wondershare Video converter and Freemake.

Hi. I have many movies on my PC which I intend to watch on my cell phone while commuting between home and college. The movies are mostly 720p and sized ~900 MB each. When I convert them to MP4 ( 320x240, 30fps, AAC for audio at 160 kbps and 41000 Hz sampling rate), the size of the converted movie becomes larger than the original movie :shocked: The converted file sizes ~1200 MB! What am I doing wrong and how should I rectify it?

I used Wondershare Video converter and Freemake.

use format factory. and keep the aspect ratio the same.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
mp4 is a container only .. you should use proper codec to reduce the size of the video.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
^ sorry I didn't mention that. I used h.264. Which encoding should I use to get a small sized file at that resolution?

^ sorry I didn't mention that. I used h.264. Which encoding should I use to get a small sized file at that resolution?

Vignesh B

Youngling
^^ h.264 is the current codec of choice for high compression but with decent quality.
Give a try for either XViD + AC3 or x264 + AC3 combination.
Also when you get time, give this video a look.

kartikoli

Busy!!
use format factory , avidemux , megui(if you can handle) and select video bitrate to 300kbps or less and audio to 128kbps as you will be using only 320x240 resolution

if your mobile can play h264 codec then its the best choice else use Xvid or Divx with AAC/mp3/AC3 audio codecs

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
Thanks everyone. I used Format Factory, converted to MP4 with xVID encodinfg for video and AAC for audio. Lowered the video bit rate and the file size decreased to ~600 MB.

TheHumanBot

Padawan
Format Factory user here and works for me 176x144 screensize one setting. just go with default settings and it should be fine.

Top Bottom