Victory at CERN - Higgs Boson found?

Hrishi

In Zee News It Was Showing That By Using This Particle And Releasing Of Energy By This,The Speed Of Car Will Be above 300km/sec,internet speed will goes upto 100 to 150 times faster....Electricity Will Meet 24 hrs to remote area's people with very good voltage.....!!!

What did they meant by saying "By Using this Particle." ?

Indian media is more biased towards extrapolating the newz and dreaming about a less relevant information.

Last edited:

Alok

Adventurer
@faun what you mean by "42" and "34" ?
(don't say a number:-D)

Ontopic: i'm more interested in applications of this discovery , any reliable source about this ?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Flash news.. They lost the Higgs Boson..
*img827.imageshack.us/img827/646/29164041434902747991849.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
this was looong wait for who ever were interested in this" mystery particle"
any one knows whats use it is for us ? except more pages in our physics texts??

This is definitely not headed to any Physics textbook lower than the PhD level anytime soon. As for practical usage -

None really as of now.

The ultimate dream of physicists (astro ones to be precise) is to answer how the damn universe came into being and find a theory that answers all questions about it. It has the grand name of, well, Grand Unified Theory, :D (that seeks to be the ONE theory that can accommodate electromagnetic/gravity/quantum/weak/strong forces) and the model that comes closest to being a GUT, is the Standard Model.

Now, in usual Physics, they first experiment, observe, draw inferences and make a theory and continue the cycle (more experiments to prove, disprove etc)...but in this specialized area of Physics, they theorize first and then go looking for proof to prove/disprove it (probably, and I am not sure of this one, because the cost and infrastructure requirements of the experiments themselves are prohibitively high! Imagine, cost of building and maintaining a LHC!!).

Now had the Higgs Boson not been found (and they still have only found a Boson that "resembles" the Higgs closely but may turn out to be not a Higgs at all), the SM would have had some holes punched into it (which may have lead to some rewriting of the text books) which in turn would have meant a minor stepback in the scheme of things for the astro lot!

If it really is a Higgs, then well, the only thing it does is, validate the SM further! Now, the astro lot can go back to their whiteboards to move ahead in their quest for the holy grail --> GUT.

Well, come to think of it, if it really is a Higgs, it will also mean "the last laugh" for a very old man who once stood out against the established norms of his day, got divorced because he loved his work more than his wife, does not use a PC even to this day to theorize and apparently only needs a pencil besides himself to make complex calculations and predict particles that do not even exist for a full second!!

What did they meant by saying "By Using this Particle." ?

Indian media is more biased towards extrapolating the newz and dreaming about a less relevant information.

Not only Indian Media, but I wonder how many astrophysicists-cum-journalists are covering the event? More like none? Well what happens when you try to explain theories created by genius-minds over many years to people who are only interested in asking "how do you feel after the discovery?" Right, the spicy-"news"-hankering-idiots dont get it!!

Ontopic: i'm more interested in applications of this discovery , any reliable source about this ?

Applications of discoveries is done by engineers --> Scientists only ask --> "Why?" The "how would this benefit us?" is asked by engineers!

As far as a damned boson is concerned, what do you expect it to do for you? Predict the weather with a Intel Celeron D PC?? :D

Flash news.. They lost the Higgs Boson..
*imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/29164041434902747991849.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You made my day! :D

anoopjylive

Broken In
Well actually Indian Media is too concerned with the 'God particle' than the discovery of a Higgs Boson like event.Not only the Indian media but the whole world.

OP
Anish

Anish

Spectre
All are.I told my friend about this,Hes like its not possible there has to be a person who created earth :lol: WTF!:lol:

"a person?":p LOL :rofl:

Info:

As I read at CERN website: as far as this research is concerned, they are trying to create a situation which existed extreme fraction of seconds after the universe is created. This will be taking place in a very controlled manner inside the LHC.

As far as Higgs boson is concerned, as the Mr.Gandalf in video wearing a equation t-shirt explains, these are the facts about higgs boson.

1. Everywhere in space, there exists a hypothetical field called "Higgs field"
2. The fundamental quanta of the higgs field is called a "Higgs boson"
3. Particles that interact with the higgs field posses mass Eg: You, me, the server where tdf is hosted etc.
4. Particle that donot interact with the higgs field do not have mass. Eg: Photons.

rogermacdonald

Right off the assembly line
hmm, they think they found it. 'think'. This is gonna be a never ending research into finding particles upon particles that may never be truly verified. there was such a big buzz about atoms, now its higgs. what makes up the higgs? and what makes up what makes up the higgs? who knows, i think a thousand years from now we will still not know anything about this.

RaMpAgEr^GodZ

Broken In
I think they had 2 find something with the amount of money poured by countries in it an all they have 2 do is just hype it.
Just a thought^^.

jaysatish

I think, therefore I am.
The "God" particle has nothing to do with any religion or any "god" at all. Quite the contrary, the existence of such a particle directly opposes the concept of "god". It's named so because it's meant to answer the question why matter has mass.

Also, I've noticed that they've not mentioned anything about Satyendra Nath Bose, in any of the mainstream articles. The "Boson" is named after this Indian physicist. It seems the glory of science is "westernized", even though Asians make up a big portion of the most prestigious research teams, lol.

Hrishi

The "God" particle has nothing to do with any religion or any "god" at all. Quite the contrary, the existence of such a particle directly opposes the concept of "god". It's named so because it's meant to answer the question why matter has mass.
I read somewhere that Scientists don't prefer the "Boson" particle being called the GOD-Particle.And it makes sense too.

Also, I've noticed that they've not mentioned anything about Satyendra Nath Bose, in any of the mainstream articles. The "Boson" is named after this Indian physicist. It seems the glory of science is "westernized", even though Asians make up a big portion of the most prestigious research teams, lol.
Its not the first time , something like this has happened.

Btw , has the Indian media thrown some light on what you mentioned above about the elementary particle being named after "S.N. Bose"?

jaysatish

I think, therefore I am.
Btw , has the Indian media thrown some light on what you mentioned above about the elementary particle being named after "S.N. Bose"?

The only publication, that I know of, which has mentioned the Bose-Einstein work recently is The Guardian, a British newspaper.

Top Bottom