Very Poor copying speed on USB 3.0

SachinJ.

Broken In
I have Purchased New Gigabyte Mobo,Model is B75M-D3H.I have intel core i3 2120 2'nd generation CPU.My mobo has2 3.0 USb ports and 2 2.0 USB ports.
I have installed Windows 8 Pro.I am very much Disappointed with my USB file copying performance.I have 2 TB Seagate Protable Hard Drive which Supports USB 3.0
When I copy a file of 1.0 gb from my pc to hard drive or viceversa it take more than 30 minutes to get copy,The copying process starts with good speed around 30mbps but it gradually gets decreased and one stage comes where I get max 300kbps whcih I even lesser than my Internet Transfer Rate:cry:.I am very much irritated with this problem , I tried Tera Copy But didn't get any results,even on my usb 2.0 m facing the same issue.
I tired by updating my mobo drivers but even after that nothing has changed.
Please Guide.

check The Video:*youtu.be/s780cdjudxQ

Regards.

Last edited:

hitesh

In the zone
What's the cache size of your hd ? Mine usb3 speeds were quite low on an hd with 2mb cache, but when I upgraded to 32mb cahe drive, speeds got to 70-80mbps from 20-30mbps

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
win 8 does NOT needs any USB 3.0 drivers AFAIK .. Op may need to update his mobo's bios to the latest version.

Last edited:
OP
S

SachinJ.

Broken In
What's the cache size of your hd ? Mine usb3 speeds were quite low on an hd with 2mb cache, but when I upgraded to 32mb cahe drive, speeds got to 70-80mbps from 20-30mbps

Sorry but I really don't know how to check cache size? may I know How to check it?

OP
S

SachinJ.

Broken In
please check the video,which will give you the better idea ab my concern :USB 3.0 working Extremely Slow - YouTube

install this : *downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22586

Installed. But,Still No Improvement :(
Thanks Anyway :)

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl

my hard disk has 64 mb cache it gives 50 mbps max speed for my wd 1tb passport

OP
S

SachinJ.

Broken In
my hard disk has 64 mb cache it gives 50 mbps max speed for my wd 1tb passport

How to change the cache size? it that can be done without formatting the drive?

> Are you reporting the speed from the front USB ports or the rear ports?

> Is the front panel USB port USB 3.0?

I have 2 USB 3.0 In the Front panel and 2 on the mobo + there are 2 USB 2.0 on mobo. and all of them are working slow.

^ hard disk cache size cannot be changed, it's a hardware property not software. Different models have different cache sizes.

^ hard disk cache size cannot be changed, it's a hardware property not software. Different models have different cache sizes.

You may want to take a look at this page: *h30565.www3.hp.com/t5/Feature-Articles/How-To-Fix-Slow-USB-Connections-and-Devices/ba-p/8224

You may want to take a look at this page: *h30565.www3.hp.com/t5/Feature-Articles/How-To-Fix-Slow-USB-Connections-and-Devices/ba-p/8224

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - some questions :

1. Did you check the USB ports speed with another device ie pen drive/or another extrenal HDD ?
2. The extrenal HDD workking fine on other pc's and there's no bad sector in this.
3. Make sure your USB port settings are correct in bios .. if possible do post the screenshots here.
4. If possible format and re-install the OS.

OP
S

SachinJ.

Broken In
@ OP - some questions :

1. Did you check the USB ports speed with another device ie pen drive/or another extrenal HDD ?
2. The extrenal HDD workking fine on other pc's and there's no bad sector in this.
3. Make sure your USB port settings are correct in bios .. if possible do post the screenshots here.
4. If possible format and re-install the OS.

1.yeah, I have checked many USB devices and all of them are working extremely slow.
2. I couldn't be assure, I doubt that, my Hard drive has flaw.may i know how to check for the errors and heal them? ,I dont want to format the drive as it contains my whole movie collection.
3.I have just update my bios to the latest one which I found on the gigabyte's website.but even after that I didn't see any improvements.check The screenshots.
*i38.tinypic.com/2re17xe.jpg
*i37.tinypic.com/oj1aw3.jpg
*i33.tinypic.com/s4thg4.jpg

4. At the end will do that only

Thank For you Reply!

Attachments

• IMG_3471.jpg
    IMG_3471.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Set xHCI Mode to either Auto or Enabled and also enable EHCI Hand Off ... if you can't set xHCI mode then disable the xHCI Pre Boot driver setting.

Top Bottom