Verizon employee outsources his entire job to China

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Not sure if this is the right section.

I came across this article on Verizon's Security blog about an employee who outsourced his entire job to China while spending his days websurfing.

According to the blog, an investigation into an unauthorized VPN access from China had lead to a revelation that one of their programmers had outsourced his entire job to a contractor in China. The investigators found invoices from the contractor who had being working on the employees project, while the employee spent his days websurfing. The employee had sent his VPN token to China via FedEx and paid less than 1/5th of his income to the contractor. The contractor ensured timely delivery of code. The code was clean and the employee was recognized as the best programmer in the office.

Evidence also suggested that he had been running a similar schemes across various companies in the area.

His name and fate are not known.

Source

So, is it really legal to outsource your own job to someone else, if it were non critical and gets your job done?

I live in India, where do I outsource my job to? :(

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Re: [WTF news] Verizon employee outsources his entire job to China

I came across this article on Verizon's Security blog about an employee who outsourced his entire job to China while spending his days websurfing.

According to the blog, an investigation into an unauthorized VPN access from China had lead to a revelation that one of their programmers had outsourced his entire job to a contractor in China. The investigators found invoices from the contractor who had being working on the employees project, while the employee spent his days websurfing. The employee had sent his VPN token to China via FedEx and paid less than 1/5th of his income to the contractor. The contractor ensured timely delivery of code. The code was clean and the employee was recognized as the best programmer in the office.

Evidence also suggested that he had been running a similar scams across various companies in the area.

His name and fate are not known.

Source

I live in India, where do I outsource my job to? :(

well he had good brains he started doing this... you really want to outsource your job to china? China? CHINA?

no wonder they call c**** a superpower now.... the world is dependent on c**** dont make yourself too...

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

well he had good brains he started doing this... you really want to outsource your job to china? China? CHINA?

no wonder they call c**** a superpower now.... the world is dependent on c**** dont make yourself too...

Can't really outsource to China, I don't have the monies...yet.

I bet there a lot of minor companies in India as well. Who do you think does your thesis' and final year projects?

amjath

Human Spambot

I think he must be fired according to data security. But this guy very smart to get fame IMO.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

Can't really outsource to China, I don't have the monies...yet.

I bet there a lot of minor companies in India as well. Who do you think does your thesis' and final year projects?

you mean people outsource these simple things to china?? no wonder the country is going downhill.

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!

He wasn't smart enough for letting the contractor use his VPN connection. These things could be easily traced during audit.
He could have avoided getting caught had he tunneled the traffic through his home computer. Plenty of ways to do that.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

If companies can outsource, why can't an individual? Wholeheartedly support that guy.

If companies can outsource, why can't an individual? Wholeheartedly support that guy.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent

Who do you think does your thesis' and final year projects?

I did myself.

agreed. They should have promoted the guy.

I wonder why he didn't outsource to india :chinscratch:

China is cheaper

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

agreed. They should have promoted the guy.

There are security concerns. The guy signed a non-disclosure agreement when he got the job and he is breaking it by outsourcing his work. That alone is enough to fire him and even sue him.

amjath

Human Spambot

There are security concerns. The guy signed a non-disclosure agreement when he got the job and he is breaking it by outsourcing his work. That alone is enough to fire him and even sue him.

Actually they ll fire him and they ll not provide him the final settlement.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

you mean people outsource these simple things to china?? no wonder the country is going downhill.

Not china, but some people get these done from other local contractors. I know many of my friends who got their final year projects done from third party contractors.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

Not china, but some people get these done from other local contractors. I know many of my friends who got their final year projects done from third party contractors.

i see. and when these enggs get out of college, they gripe about not getting a job.
lol their jobs just got outsourced ;)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, the guy was smart enough to outsource his entire job but not geek enough to think about the fact that he can get caught during an audit.
I guess many more would learn from his mistake, and outsource their work "in a right way" :rofl:

Top Bottom