Valve cooking something big....

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
The controller fails for playing FIFA.

3, 4, 5 and 6 should be close to each other. I can't stretch my thumb to reach 3 when I need to shoot.

This thing still needs some fixing.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
The controller fails for playing FIFA.

3, 4, 5 and 6 should be close to each other. I can't stretch my thumb to reach 3 when I need to shoot.

This thing still needs some fixing.

They will not care about FIFA(Origin) ;). Heard it is designed keeping in mind of RTS and MOBA Games also. So it is possible to Play Dota,Civ Games sitting on sofa

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Since the SteamMachines are hackable, I am sure third party controllers would come out for specialized games.

*img.gawkerassets.com/img/191h1as78wu2dpng/original.png

lol...on a similar note :

Somewhat NSFW, viewer discretion is advised.
*v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20130930-3a879.gif

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:
GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

Looks pretty solid

cyborg47

Technomancer
I prefer a nice mid tower assembled rig anytime to the steam hot box

If you'd read the article, you'd know that you already own a steam box, just without the controller and Steam OS, same goes with anyone who's got a high end PC. Also, the steam box being a living room device, Valve is also said to be releasing a streaming device, for the people who already own a kickass PC and don't like the living room ugly-fied due to the size of the cabinet. So if you already own a PC, and not interested in gaming in the living room, all you have to do is just buy the controller ;)

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
If you'd read the article, you'd know that you already own a steam box, just without the controller and Steam OS, same goes with anyone who's got a high end PC. Also, the steam box being a living room device, Valve is also said to be releasing a streaming device, for the people who already own a kickass PC and don't like the living room ugly-fied due to the size of the cabinet. So if you already own a PC, and not interested in gaming in the living room, all you have to do is just buy the controller ;)
:lol:
I just own a crap laptop
not a "steam device"
for a "steam device" said device has to have Steam OS and/or "Valve Controller".I dont want either ;-)

Isn't this a bit small for the stuff its packing
The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:
GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

Those dimensions are the same as
Gaylienware x51
I bet you will be able to fry an egg on the "steam device" too :lol:

I dont think Gaben will release the device/controllers here in our great country

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The way I see it, the SteamBox (or rather SteamMachines) are for the non techy gamers who just want something like a console to connect and play. Perhaps it was introduced to get a share of the console market.

gameranand

Living to Play
Well they did said that it will run Linux and it would be a pain even for steam to run all the Windows games on it so yes it could be for casual gamers who can play the Valve games or the Indie games.

cyborg47

Technomancer
Well they did said that it will run Linux and it would be a pain even for steam to run all the Windows games on it so yes it could be for casual gamers who can play the Valve games or the Indie games.

Were you living under a rock, anand? :p

Valve already confirmed that they've got about 300 games working on Linux, and they've been actively working on it since 2 years.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
How to build your own SteamMachine :

Building a DIY Steam Machine: Full cost breakdown of a Steam Machine | Chips | Geek.com

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Gotta love PC gaming. So many options available. I was half expecting someone to come up with an alternative to SteamMachines.

Top Bottom