Valve cooking something big....

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Valve has put up this teaser site with a countdown timer and announced that they are going to make three big announcements over the coming days.

*store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Though I am skeptical that this has anything to do with HL3, but I think this could be an official Steambox.

From IGN :

Valve is teasing three announcements coming next week related to “the steps we're taking to make Steam more accessible on televisions and in the living room.” On a teaser site posted today, Valve says “the Steam universe is expanding in 2014.”

“Last year, we shipped a software feature called Big Picture, a user-interface tailored for televisions and gamepads,” the site says. “This year we’ve been working on even more ways to connect the dots for customers who want Steam in the living-room. Soon, we’ll be adding you to our design process, so that you can help us shape the future of Steam.”

A countdown on the site has 72 hours remaining as of this morning, and Valve teases that “we have three announcements to make beginning with the first one on Monday morning.”

Last week, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell hinted that an announcement would come, noting that Valve would be “rolling out more information” about “the hardware opportunities we see for bringing Linux into the living room.”

For more on Valve’s vision for Steam Box, see Newell’s thoughts on how Valve can reinvent gaming.

Source : *www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/20/valve-teases-three-announcements-next-week

The first announcement is to be expected in 72 hours.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Steam announces SteamOS

SteamOS

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

icebags

Technomancer
good in a way, if it supports all games, we will be able to play without going for ms windows .

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well, not all games have been ported yet. I think they will announce some top level games in the next announcement.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Do we really need another OS just for playing games and all?

Wouldn't it be better if they would started fully supporting Linux?

I think that is the objective in the long term. Also, companies would probably start moving to SteamOS if this becomes popular enough. If it runs on SteamOS, it would definitely run on any other Linux distro.

Still need a PC to stream games eh!!!

We can hope that the Steambox could come out someday.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I think that is the objective in the long term. Also, companies would probably start moving to SteamOS if this becomes popular enough. If it runs on SteamOS, it would definitely run on any other Linux distro.

We can hope that the Steambox could come out someday.

I think it is made just for those who want to use their PC to play games etc in their living room..

Yeah. This SteamOS is built on Linux only. But a custom Distro only for playing games which will have Steam integrated.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah. This SteamOS is built on Linux only. But a custom Distro only for playing games which will have Steam integrated.

I don't think so. It's Linux, so you should be able to do anything on it. Gaming is just one aspect. We can't say for sure until we get our hands on it, if we get our hands in it anytime soon (taking valve time into consideration)

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Steam announces SteamOS

SteamOS

*In Shadow Fiend's voice*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fragmentation of PC gaming begins. :(
Now there will be SteamOS exclusive games :(

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I thin the whole OS will be highly optimised for xbox controller, like the "big picture mode"..unlike windows where xbox controller only works for games

It will be sad if it is just Big Picture on a whole new OS. I hope they have a separate desktop for regular tasks.

*In Shadow Fiend's voice*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fragmentation of PC gaming begins. :(
Now there will be SteamOS exclusive games :(

That is inevitable, just like the doom of windows.

Edit : I hope that they come up with something that will allow cross gaming from Windows platforms, like a better port of Wine.

Top Bottom