Using One CPU as 4 individual PCs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I am in a situation where I need 4-8 PCs and all will require only moderate office processing ie. word , excel etc. may be little internet too.

And if you have new i5 or even core2duo for such needs, it will be overkill, so what I am thinking, similar to VPS which lets one powerful server to act as serveral small server, is there any option which let me to do same on desktop environment. eg. VMware let you run multiple OS but it doesn't let you to run all OS on separate monitor with separate keyboard and mouse.

What I am thinking to have 1 powerful machines with 8 GB or more RAM running 4 Desktops ie. each has their own Monitor, keyboard and mouse but single CPU .

Is there any such solution available in market, it can be achived via Software easily though if there is any turnkey sort of solution then kindly show me the ray ! :)

!!!

rahul941400

Broken In
yep recently i went to a technical fair... and saw a device (i was astonished at first), it connects to the lan port via pci cards or switches and you can connect various monitors, mouse & keyboards at once... its cost was Rs 4000/pc...

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
hmm..
Well in linux I have heard something similar ie. such virtualilzation over LAN, however unable to find exactly what I need.

Anyways, what was the name of device ?

Btw, 4000 per PC doesn't look cost effective, anyways, I will try to find it though !
Any other solution ?

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
After looking at your reply I immediately checked your post count and it confirmed that you are a quantity poster who has very little to do with quality !

You just posted, did you read my post clearly ? See the post of rahul941400 , he actually replied my post by reading it.

Kalpik
In pursuit of BIGGER POST COUNT !

sakumar79

Technomancer
You can search for Thin Clients... There are 2 companies I am aware of called Enjay and Panache Infotech which offer these...

*www.enjayworld.com/
*panache.co.in/index.php

Arun

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Thin client is something different though !

Anyone experience of using LG network MOnitor ?

sakumar79

Technomancer
Are there any software licensing issues when we use these technologies? If we use the LG network monitor to create four PCs from one CPU, will one license for the software (apps) suffice? As per website for windows we need a server license and some client licenses... How much do these cost?

EDIT: Also, what are the cost of these devices?

Arun

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
u can do 1 thing:
run all the OS that u want thru VMWare/Hyper-V (if u wanna go the Win server 2008 R2 way).
Then u can get some 2nd hand PIII/PIV machines for real cheap & do RDP to the VMs & do ur work.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
After looking at your reply I immediately checked your post count and it confirmed that you are a quantity poster who has very little to do with quality !

You just posted, did you read my post clearly ? See the post of rahul941400 , he actually replied my post by reading it.

Kalpik

Mind yourself buddy. Kalpik is one of the elite digitians that we respect and if his reply doesn't answer your question, you rather reply in a polite manner.

coming to the topic, LG network monitor will be an ideal way to go.

*panache.co.in/store/index.php?cPath=71&PHPSESSID=81376028bda962aac305b79857b9cc46

But there are other companies that can provide similar setup for much lower price. You may need to dig this forum. We (digitians) had a long discussion about putting up a similar setup.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot

Kalpik

LOL..many members here are in a spree to get the old members back and you are trying somewhat different.

If you are really a qualitative poster, please.. Forum needs you. Help the forum... in that process some or other will tell 'you are a spammer, you are posting for bumping your post count.' And then you will understand what it will be like. No offense to you buddy.It is just our instincts.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Hmm...

(IGNORING all OFFTOPIC REPLIES)

Ummm...

(Now talking about the topic)..

Ncomputing was the obvious choice but for this you need a card which cost big.. namely X550 from ncomputing .. LG also uses same card .. basically LG Network Monitor are something with Ncomputing device inbuilt and using Ncomputing X550 card in server itself.

But cost differences are not big.. per terminal I will save 2-3 thousand and that is not signficant unless I have really big setup.. say 100 or more terminals.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Good question, i was looking for someting similar .
Here is another thinclient solution @ Rs. 3500/station.

I remember coming across a software solution recently . But I can't find it now. will google for it. btw i am curious even if there is a software solution , how will all the monitors/keyboards/monitors could be connected to a single cabinet ?split cables or something ?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

Kalpik
Uncalled for and totally unnecessary, but since you want to get all uptight about that way lets back up a moment. Did you even take the time to take a look at those links? Vmware provides a product line which caters exactly to what you need. Unfortunately you were so busy giving him a hard time that you hardly even knew it.

Thin client is something different though !
And no its not. Whenever a system depends on another host to perform its functions then basically its a thin client. In this case those 4 client computers regardless of what method you use to achieve the above mentioned in your post are called thin clients.

What you may also gain in cost savings you may lose in Maintenance as well. Lets say that for whatever reason your main system goes down you lose productivity not only on that machine but every other client connected to it. Not to mention the hassle of setting up devices like printers on clients like these. I still haven't gotten over the nightmare of helping a friend do something similar with Citrix.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
you reignited my interest in this topic :) , and i found something good!
review of 3 software programs that look perfect for the job. They are ofcourse different from thinclients and cheaper as well ( i think)

the term you are looking for here is multiseat windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom