using computer without hard disk!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhadkow

Broken In
hi guys i want 2 use my computer without hard disk..., is it possible to do that???
i have some linux live cds and a 2gb pendrive. so can i use these 2 to run a system??? can anyone plz tell me how..??? n will it b possible to configure it so that i can use my bsnl broadband connection on it???? can somebody plz tell me how 2 do this all.....,the drivers required etc etc......

is this really possible??? suggest anyother methods as well but i donot want 2 use my hard disk but b able 2 browse the net.....
i want da system for only 'browsing'!! :D:confused::smile:

Sukarn

Broken In
Yes, this is completely possible. In fact, I keep a bootable USB of SLAX(www.slax.org) with backups of important files with me just in case of a hard drive failure. Go to that website, and download the tar file. Extract the contents to a pendrive and if you're on windows, open command prompt and go to the drive letter of the USB, change directory into "boot" and run bootinst.bat (this process can be done by double clicking on the .bat on windows, I think), or if you're on Linux, open terminal and go to the place where the USB is mounted, cd into "boot" and run the file bootinst.sh as root ("sudo sh bootinst.sh" if you're running Ubuntu)

I don't have a BSNL connection, so I'm not sure about this, but they should have an external router capable of dialing into BSNL. If you set it up so that the router dials into the internet connection instead of having to dial through the computer, then you just need to connect the router to the computer through ethernet (LAN port) and then turn them both (router and PC) on.

yogeshm.007

The real Bond
Refer to

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB

*www.pendrivelinux.com/

*en.opensuse.org/Installing_SuSE_on_External_USB_Drive

I also wanted something like this, though only for emergencies, not for general use. I had then visited a web-site giving more exhaustive information on the subject, but unfortunately I did not bookmarked it (trusting my google skills) and am now unable to locate it :D Apart from other things, it said installing on a regular usb flash drive is not recommended generally because of limited number of write cycles supported by them.

OP
B

bhadkow

Broken In
thnx guys well actually wen i remove my hd n go out of town my dad complains bout not able 2 use sys for net!!! so i wanted da solution badly!!! thnx again guys.....
wil try my luck

anymore detailed suggestions fellow digitians???

Last edited:

johny rico

i hack.. sometimes
Use Knoppix cd. don't use live DVD's, it'll run very slowly.But you cannot install any new software or patches without HD:(

OP
B

bhadkow

Broken In
k...thanx ...., jus wanted 2 browse net!! dats it..... with cds runnin n net can i save files 2 usb pendrive???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom