Using a KVM switch for setting up a Headless Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, HOW do I do this ?

I am getting an upgrade in a few months and I need your advice to proceed in making my old CPU/Mobo/RAM/HDD combo into a Headless Server.

Also, what will I gain by investing in an LCD monitor (19" widescreen), over my current 17" CRT, as far as energy saving and eye-friendliness are concerned ?

To keep my current monitor, can I use some screen filter for making it more eye-friendly ?

PS: [planning an upgrade on a budget hurts sometimes]

superczar

-n00b-
you don't need a KVM switch or anything like that.
A headless server needs a one time connection to a monitor/KB while you are configuring it.
Once configured, just throw the box in a corner and connect it to the power and ethernet cable only (set BIOS to auto start after power failre so that you dont even have to press the power button after an outage

Any subsequent changes can be made via SSHing into the box from your main PC

For the first time config, I had written a full blown article on this sometime back which was linked by IronMan on the digit forums also
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95175&highlight=headless

I want to use a KVM swi+tch because I would frequently access the "server" computer. Its supposed to double in role as a Jukebox audio player.

I am installing Windows XP as a dual boot along with ArchLinux 32bit on the old PC.

The new one would run Gentoo 64bit propably dual booted with Windows 7.

So if an app does not work in Windows 7, or if my parents still prefer XP, I may need to boot through the old PC.

What do I do in such a case ?

PS: What does a KVM switch cost anyway ? If its too high, I would instead manually change connections even if the old PC needs to be used. But if its cheap, as in under Rs. 500 or so, I would buy it even if I don't need it. If its somewhere in the middle, I would buy it if there is a need for it.

acewin

Point Blanc
@astroutkarsh if he use anything like VNC or mstsc then there is no need of KVM switch, you just need a LAN cord, or switch to get both CPU connected to same network.

KVM switch is box around size of DVD players, Add on rediff for Zebronics KVM switch
they may price aroun 1.5-2K in local market.

@metalhead why do you really need a KVM switch.

by what you say I think you mean you want two CPUs running and manageable.
but only one used at a time, if they are on LAN you can use remote desktop connection to other system after booting it. you will need to just put in the monitorconnection at the time of booting.

Beside that a KVM switch will give you lower display performance. comparitive to directly connected monitor, and to get good results you will again put the monitor directly to the other CPU.

Last edited:
Actually I will be having an extra keyboard and mouse.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108714
I doubt anybody would want to purchase the defective iBall combo from me.

So I would only be sharing a 17" CRT Monitor.

Do you think I can manage by just removing cable from one CPU to another ?

acewin

Point Blanc
sure pretty easily, KVM switch is used to monitor servers generally, only CPUs kept in the rack connected to KVM switch,

at home, I have seen if there is no display then CPU does not reboots, so it would be little manual overhead, you would not even need keyboard and mouse if you are managing by remote connection, small LAN setup is what you need that is what I will say.

in for CRT monitor I am also in same dilemma, LCD screens do not flicker like CRTs so if need constant viewing of screen it becomes quiet a requirement. But getting rid of old CRT is a problem. Check if you can get your CRT exchanged to a new LCD. If price gets lowered to 3-4K its quiet a good option.

Then is there something like a Two-Way key for Monitor ?
I mean, there should be two input slots and one output slot.
I must be able to decide the input slot, while the output slot connects to the monitor.

And where can I get price lowered to 3-4K after exchange offer ? Will I get WXGA+ 19" screen for that ? Because I am looking for a 1080p monitor.

acewin

Point Blanc
check with dell customer care.

Here in bangalore many stores offer exchange, staples was offering upto 10K for old desktops.

about switch for monitor I am not sure. beside why would you need it, once the CPU is running and on the network. just do a remote desktop, and will be able to see XP in full screen.
you are getting windows 7, hehe. your parents will too get accustomed to it same as you . for general browsing and movie watching it wont be difficult as IE would be available, and same will be windows media player.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Linboys have weird demands. :p

@MetalheadGautham
I actually HAVE those two way VGA switches. One is active at a time, click, and other is active. Dad used it with our old CRT and his laptop, dunno what would come out of it though.

Try to look for them in small computer/electrical shops. My dad got it for ~250 INR almost 6 years ago, its those unbranded chinese but does the work just fine. Besides, who needs a Viewsonic branded switch anyway?

Thanks.
I was already thinking of buying sockets and creating my own switch with some simple high-school days messing around with wires, but this saves me a lot of work.
Can you name some of these "unbranded" chinese brands ?

@acewin: the problem goes a lot further than that. I can use network, but BOTH Desktops will be dual or even triple booted. And I would be doing some SERIOUS distro hopping.

acewin

Point Blanc
hehe, certainly 250 buck do not make a hole in the pocket, will save you from clttering of wire.

We have remote desktop software in all Linux and windows, but anyhow go for the switch. And buy USB mouse/keyboard than PS/2 will makes thing even better for you.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
^ That thing does not have a word of english, and I haven't seen it around for quite sometime.. It maybe difficult to get, I doubt about the availability of chinese-low-quality goods where you stay.

You know what, it was difficult to get those chinese fonts, so I just went over to one chinese website, it had this chinese flash ad, took a screenshot of the page, and cut *that* out from the image. Phew! So much for humour! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom